Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lars Ulrich

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassGod, Mar 12, 2006.

1. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Alright, Ulrich takes a lot of crap around here I find. Mainly due to his inflated ego and all-around-douche-bagery (has anyone seen SKOM?)

But a lot of people find him to be a crappy drummer. I've heard him called "the worst metal drummer ever", etc. But really, what's so bad about his drumming? If he had a good attitude and less of an ego, would people's opinions in his drumming change?

Most of the '...And Justice For All' has good drumming on it, in songs like 'Dyer's Eve' and 'Blackened'. Sure, sometimes it gets repetitive, but every drummer seems to praise Dave Lombardo, despite the fact that on 'Reign In Blood' every drum beat is the same.

So someone explain to me why Lars Ulrich is such a bad drummer.

Graeme :bassist:

P.S. And while we're here, why does everyone think Danny Carey is so good? (I have 'Lateralus', and was unimpressed, especially given the rave reviews it got)

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ahem, well, since you asked:

Lars use to be good, well... Lars use to be OK. But the Black album has some of the blandest hard rock drumming ever, he really delivers no energy.

Also, when I say he use to be OK, he use to play in time. As he ages, his ability to play over long periods of time and IN time has declined. Rumor has it, the reason Metallica would be in the studio for so long was fixing Lars' drum tracks.

To discuss Danny: Just so you know, I really dislike Tool. I kind of like Anemia, but Lateralus bored the crap out of me, it was like the same boring song over and over. But I have a lot of respect for Danny's drumwork. He plays with a lot of polyrhythmics, midi drum pads with accoustic drums, open spaces, and a great sense of dynamics. Not something you hear every day from drummers.

You should check out "Ampersand" off Adrian Belew's side one album, that's my favorite Danny Carey drumwork.

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Lars is a Keith Moon style drummer. He's got a distinctive style that works in the band that he's in beautifully, and he plays very musically. However, technically he's horrible. Music is more than technical.

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I think Binge and Purge is Lars at his worst. He played fill after fill after fill through most of the songs and the resulting boomy mix simply ruined the whole CD set.

5. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    Lars is far from being one of the best metal drummers, but on the other hand, he's the only 'Tallica member who hasn't sold out yet. Okay, maybe 'the least sold out member' is a better term...

6. Growler

Growler

Sep 26, 2004
    On his tracks, if he plays early or late, they almost always use software to move his beats forward or back so it appears on beat.

7. How do you figure? :eyebrow:

8. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I think Lars is the main reason why Metallica turned into a joke.

9. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    +111111111111

10. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    I think the main reason for that is the nu-metal "riffs" of hetfield and hammet... :rollno:

11. Caeros

Caeros

Jul 24, 2002
    Branford, CT
    I think the fact that he can't play in time and struggles to play his own studio drum parts live kinda discounts him as a credible musician. However, he's richer than any of us will ever be so at least he has that going for him.

12. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    See, that's what I mean... everyone talks about how he sold out, but I want this strictly to be about drumming.

I didn't realize he used software so much. That kinda sucks, if it's true.

But let's take 'Dyer's Eve' for example... Surely this is a hard song to play. The double kick is quite fast. Or 'Blackened' which switches time signatures a lot... Again, I would think that would be difficult. I mean, different rhythms is why Carey is famous.

But I agree with Matt about the drumming on the black album. Bland indeed.

Graeme

13. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Just a question... by 'software' you mean ProTools and programs like that I assume?

Graeme

14. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Yup - although I don't find his drumming to be as crappy as some do, his attitude - self-important, greedy prick - turns me off - and I'm a Metallica fan... Lars strikes me as the type I'd like to punch in the face - whereas, James strikes me as the type I'd hang out and drink with...

- georgestrings

15. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I saw Some Kind of Monster and i really enjoyed , I just so happen to be a BIG Metallica Fan :bassist: . Lars plays to the song just not a standard beat over the riffs so he fits really well in the band he makes music in , dont forget Lars has done a significant amount of the arrangments for their songs. I think his age is really starting to show through now , he looks incredible exsuasted after playing some of the classics and he is leaving out some of the fills he had done for years. Yeah I like Lars in Metallica but I can understand why others might not.

16. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Heh, I expected you'd be posting soon. Actually, I saw them live two years ago, and I noticed he left out some fills. Specifically in the song 'Disposable Heroes'.

Graeme

17. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I think he's not a very versatile drummer, he's kinda good/ok at what he does or used to do, but put him in a different situation and he's toast. Listen to Nothing Else Matters at SnM. The intro kicks in, beautiful, and then DSH-DSH-DSH-DSH..Lars decides to keep the rhythm by bashing on his hi-hat and ruins the atmosphere..

That's his problem. In the end, I think Metallica until the Black Album is one of the best metal bands ever, and actually, why give a crap about the drumming on those albums? If it sounds good, it sounds good.

18. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    They don't play The Unforgiven on S&M... Do you mean Nothing Else Matters?

...If so then I agree.

Graeme

19. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Damned, that's what I meant, I always confuse those 2.

20. I think Verago is on target here: Lars isn't really a crappy drummer, I've heard (and played with) far worse, but he has a few things he does well and that's it. Yeah, the songs on Justice..., I think he sounds good on that stuff, but I bet he would sound terrible doing a blues shuffle...