1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lars Ulrich

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassGod, Mar 12, 2006.

1. As a person, he pisses me off. He let the whole rock star image go to his head.
    But as a drummer, I think he's actually pretty good. Listen to "..And Justice For All". That album has by far his best drumming IMO. He's not a bad musician, he's just a douche.

2. Master of Puppets and Justice for All kick ass, as well as any version of Call of the Ktulu. Other than that...............................................meh.

I think his drumming on the above is great, all else............meh. He always seems tired and he always has that wacky look in his eyes,

3. You mean this?
    puppets77.

4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I've seen jazzdrummers twice Lars' age pull off stuff Lars can't even dream about. It's all about practice, not age. Dave Lombardo has about the same age and he's still kicking it like he used to.

5. Caeros

Caeros

Jul 24, 2002
    Branford, CT
    I've never liked his playing all that much, and the fact that he can barely keep up live nowadays shows that his interest lies more in being a celebrity and a rockstar than being a musician.

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I think part of the problem is that Lars does not practice or play outside of band time.

7. as a casual listener of Metallica and the rest of the genre, i don't really hear Lars playing anything amazing, it seems like since he is in a famous band, people think he's amazing, he's alright, but nothing new imo

8. Ok I didn't want to start a new thread about this but what do you think is the main reason for Metallica sucking?

9. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Depends; I think their work until the Black Album is some of the best metal ever made, after that it went downhill, cristalizing in the dreadful Saint Anger.

10. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    he and his colleagues made 'Master of Puppets'... so i'll forgive them virtually anything

they still suck nowadays tho

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Isn't he in the band because his dad was paying for the recording at the time. I think Hetfield alluded to that on the Behind The Music ep about them. Also, I happen to like the Black album.

12. dajman1800

dajman1800

Sep 2, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    [​IMG]

13. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    LOL! Dude, that's cold!

14. That's because the Black Album drum tracks are roughly 20 different drum samples. I have a reliable source on this and have heard them, too.

I met Duke Erickson of Metal Church the other day, and they used to chill with Metallica all the time. He was telling me stories about how both bands would give Lars a hard time, and is really proud of it now that Lars is a prick. :p

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ha, that's great. Metal Church, haven't heard about them in forever.

16. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Lars. No Chops, No Soul, No Time.

Sorry. I agree that Metallica was a hugely influential band, but Lars Ulrich is just some lucky Dutch boy with some sticks in his hands, and very little knowledge regarding what to do with them.

17. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

:D

18. I remember reading an interview with Lars saying that Bob Rock laughed at Lars telling him that they would spend forever in the studio fixing takes. I guess the only way to record Metallica (or at least LAR's tracks) was to simplify all the parts and slow down everything until it was the Black Album. Which I actually still enjoy, but I see it as the beginning of the end of Metallica. Good thing I was never a big Metallica fan, eh?

19. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Coming from a bassist who hasn't yet had health issues impede their playing I assume?

DCat,

20. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium

Nope, but I didn't know Lars has health issues, if he has them at all.