1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lars Ulrich

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassGod, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    It's more a talent problem than a practice one with Lars I think.

2. i like them and have no problem with him :)

and i dont think they sold out.. they just started to suck. thats it

and i love tool. im not a drummer so i cant say much for technique. he just plays a way i love and thats good enough for me.

and the dude on the first page who said all the songs on lateralus sound the same... what the hell are u thinking? no they dont.. how can u possibly say that?

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I'll tell you what the hell I'm thinking, Lateralus is the most boring album to ever be labeled prog ever in the history of everything ever. There are keys outside of "D" despite Tool's belief. First track, I'd get into it, second track I'd ask, "Is this on repeat?" Third track, "Oh I guess not." Fourth Track... "wow, this is weak" Fifth track, "Cd taken out."

I've tried to listen to it about 4 times, and each time, bored the hell out of me. I HATE HATE HATE how rabid Tool fans are, they can't believe that some people don't like Tool. Disbelief that someone might have heard King Crimson before Tool, so they find Tool boring. Why listen to a watered down version of a good band?

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Oh yeah, like I said, I tried SEVERAL times to dig it, just because my friends like it so much, and I'd like to discuss music with them, but for me it has very little appeal.

5. hey, isn't this thread about Lars?

6. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    yes

7. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    Didn't waste my time reading the whole thread...But Lars = CRAP.....and I'm not Scottish!

8. quote: "...how rabid Tool fans are, they can't believe that some people don't like Tool. Disbelief that someone might have heard King Crimson before Tool, so they find Tool boring."

Oh so true. Sorry for the hijacking. I like Tool, not a fan, but still... good crossreference to King Crimson, a shame that a lot just dont get that.

About Lars, I dont know, he's just not "great", the band is/was, and he has a bad attitude imho. And that from a not so rockeerock fan....hmm.

9. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    I actually like Lars' feel on the album Load. His playing is super simple on that album, but it fits really well with what they were trying to accomplish. Whether or not it has to do with months of protools edits, it still stands out to me as his last good recording.

However, speaking of his feel, it is absolute s*** on Nothing Else Matters. On both the Black album and on S&M he ruins the song.

Blah blah blah Metallica used to be good in the eighties. I wonder how many people who listened to them back in their prime really care. There were so many other good thrash bands back then.

10. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    His Kick tone is the absolute WORST!!!!Too many "sound-guys" go for the "Lars school of horrible drum-tone"...I absolutely HATE IT!

11. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel

Apr 19, 2009
    Compare him to guys like Dave Lombardo, Charlie Benante, Paul Bastoph, Nick Menza, Tom Hunting, Jurgen Reil, Shawn Drover, guys in his own genre, and he looks like crap.

12. I think Lars gets away with it in the studio, but he's pretty dreadful live.
    I've seen Metallica live several times now and each time Lars' performance is pretty embarrassing - I mean, Metallica are one of my favourite bands, and the drummer's putting in this laughable performance. He can hold the song together but his timekeeping tends to be eccentric at best, and any attempt at a complex fill normally falls apart.

Despite this, I still consider Metallica to be one of the best live bands I've ever seen.

13. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I heard Lars doesn't take any bass guitar in his monitor. That's enough reason to hate him right there.

14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Honestly, if he wasn't a founding (and hard working) member of Metallica, he wouldn't qualify to be in any other band! He's that bad! Weekend warrior quality at best skills wise but hey, he told us huh! Dudes a milionaire 10 times over so there goes the skills theory!

But I've seen pre-teen kids who play better!

15. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    The biggest problem with Lars is the influence he's had on so many younger drummers. The whole mentality of speed and feels are everything and timekeeping is secondary. And that the kick drum has to be twice as loud as anything else in the mix. Too many young drummers approach the drums as a solo instrument and can't lock in with a bass player or support a vocalist at all. Which makes them pretty much worthless in a band situation, IMHO. And I bet a lot of them would name Lars as an influence if they were asked.

16. RestInPieces

RestInPieces

Jun 14, 2009

+1 million

17. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I talked to my ex drummer about playing in time live and he said a lot of it is stamina. He'd ask me to give him songs of stuff we were gonna do in the future just so he'd have something to play during his marathon sessions where he was specificly working on his stamina. With everything else Lars has going on, I think this may be part of the problem.