Lars Ulrich's drumming - all that?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by peteroberts, Feb 15, 2005.

1. I was listening to ...AJFA today (where in the world are the cymbals in the mix??)

Anyways, I was listening to Lars and thinking, he's not really all that. I remember there being a really fast roll on one of the tunes (One, maybe?) and it sounded like he never studied rudiments. I mean, there's no rolls, hardly any flams, fancy stuff that drummers do. He's just fast. Big deal.

What do you all think??
  2. He's not amazing, but he's a solid drummer with some cool stuff once in a while. He sometimes gets too much accolade for his work, but I've seen much worse.
  3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Pretty decent independence, decent double bass, good time; an decent drummer overall.

He would pale in comparision to numerous other drumming greats though. Rich, Donati, Carey, and Bozzio all have his number and can do stuff he couldn't dream of doing.
  4. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Like sleeping on an enormous pile of money? :cool:
  5. I haven't really listened closely to the stuff they did after abandoning the click track...he still solid?
  6. anyone else find his drumming on the Cunning Stunts DVD sloppy?
  7. invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I heard he's prone to sloppiness and screwing up live. But remeber, that's only what I've heard, so take it with a grain of salt.
  8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Honestly, he's not a very good drummer at all! He's the best fit for Metallica though! I think of him as the Charlie Watts of Metal.
  9. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I think Lars is a good drummer. 'Dyer's Eve' is a good example of some solid drumming.

About Danny Carey though, what are some examples of good Tool songs drumming-wise? I've heard a few of their songs, mostly from 'Lateralus', and his drumming never really jumped out at me. Maybe I am missing the subtleties in his playing?

Some drummers I like, aside from those mentioned are Charlie of Anthrax, Nick Menza, formerly of Megadeth, the drummer from Cryptopsy, and the drummer who played on Death's 'Symbolic' album (his name escapes me at the moment).

Graeme :bassist:
  10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    That is the funniest thing I have read all day. :D
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Why is this in Off Topic?
  12. because it's about DRUMMING maybe??? :meh:
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Drumming=Music related=Miscellaneous
  14. in this case I'm not so sure the drumming is music related! :)

PS - how do you make a drummer's car go faster?
    Take the pizza delivery sign off the top.
  15. Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Q - How many bass players does it take to change a lightbulb?

A - One. Five. One. Five.

Anyway, back to Mr. Ulrich...I really don't have much of a problem with his drumming, but there are 2 things he does while preforming that make me wish the worst upon him...these are just pet peeves:
    1) At some point, he always stands up (a no-no for drummers IMO) and plays for a sec, then points at the crowd...what the hell is that?
    2) The "metal face" know the one, the look as though a pineapple is being shoved where the sun don't shine.

I've also heard many rumors of "ghost drummers" on several of their earlier albums (Master or Puppets, Ride the Lightning)...if it is true, thats really lame...

Q - What's the difference between a Bassist and a rhino that's just eaten a tin of baked beans?

A - One's a huge useless thing that makes a deep farting noise and the other is a rhino.
  16. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Danny's playing does have quite a few subtleties, and they easily get lost in the mix with Tool thrashing in front of him. Part of the problem is Botriff's tendency towards muddy drum tones, as well as Danny not using his snare strand very often.

Listen to 46&2, Aenema, or Pu**** from Aenima or The Grudge, Schism, Ticks & Leeches or Lateralus from Lateralus. He's got some impressive rolls and fills in Undertow as well, but his beats are in general more simplistic, and I really don't listen to the album enough to recommend songs.

Oh Yeah, Lars.... To be frank, a pretty poor drummer, no sense of tempo or timing, horrible chops, recycled beats, bad facial expressions... :D

Feb 11, 2005
    john bohnam period always in the pocket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  18. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Keith Moon *raises fists*

On Topic

Lars is an average drummer. Maybe below average considering all of the time he's been playing. As a person I don't like him too much either I find him cocky arrogant, and obnoxious. Same goes for James.