1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Larson Gut questions

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Bobby King, May 14, 2006.

1. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I'm thinking of ordering some of the Larson Lyon varnished gut strings because I've heard that they work well for arco as well as pizzicato. For those of you that have tried Larson strings, a few questions:

Are they available in different gauges and what are your recommendations?

Have any of you tried his silver wound E&A? Same questions about gauges. How did you find the wound strings for arco?

What are your impressions of these strings in terms of tension and stiffness compared to other guts you've played?

Thanks!

Bobby

2. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    i'm subscribing to this thread.

i just put a light+ guage G on my bass to try out, the pizz is real nice but the arco is dissappointing.

disclaimer though, i just put this string on to try and i think i need to have more scoop to get the arco tone to work right....i don't find this string hard to bow, it gets started easily and doesn't squeak at all...it just sounds real nasally like it has a lack of fundamental and doesn't come close to matching the steel strings (flexocor or permanent)......my has very little scoop so i think that is my problem with the nasally tone...kinda like it wants to growl.