LA's best shop/person for set ups/ mods/ repairs?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Music Attorney, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Music Attorney

Music Attorney

Feb 22, 2004
    Any suggestions on who to see in Los Angeles regarding bass set up, modifications, and repairs? Thanks.
  2. I too would like to know...I'm thinking about a fret levelling job for my Stingray5.

Too bad the Bass Exchange has gone kaput :(
  3. Music Attorney

Music Attorney

Feb 22, 2004
    I agree re: Bass Exchange. gives the following information.
    13701 Ventura Blvd Sherman Oaks CA 91423
    Phone: (818) 817-9566

FWIW, the guy who answered says they do repair and sales (high end) like BassExchange and retained some of the same people from the store.
  4. I went there not too long ago...It's actually called The Amp Shop. The only guy there was this European dude who gave me this real snotty attitude. I was seeing if they had any lighter gauge 5-string sets (Ernie Ball Super Slinky 5s eto be exact) and not only did they not have any (they didn't even have the set of Rotosounds I usually get), but this dude said something condescending like, "Are these strings for you?"

Uh no, they're for my boss. I'm just his gopher boy.

There was an MTD Kingston5 fretless that hung on the wall that I wanted to check out but I decided to bolt instead. The string selectrion sucked, the bass selectrion sucked, and it wasn't worth my time.

I ended up finding the strings I wanted later on at Sam Ash. Go figure.
  5. Steelpulz

Nov 4, 2003
    Inglewood, CA
    I've been to The Amp shop on a few occassions (lookin' at the F Basses). I always recieved courteous service. Tho' I did not have my bass setup there.
  6. ddayseb

Mar 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I'd heartily endorse Westwood Music (.com). They're at (310) 478-4251. Tell them Seb sent you and you'll be taken care of. I'll admit to being biased, since I used to work there, but I've seen them do all sorts of screwy stuff, and I've never seen them do it less than perfectly. I'd trust them to do anything (if I had money to have them do anything...).
  7. Music Attorney

Music Attorney

Feb 22, 2004
    Stingraymund: I’d have thought we would have had more input. Let me know if you hear of anything additional. Thanks.

ddayseb: Thanks for the recommendation and the use of your name.
  8. David Nealy is a good guy worth talking to. his shop is down on guitar row on the south side of sunset near the gardner intersection. it's next door to the mesa shop but it's upstairs. he's good and his turn around time is usually pretty quick too.
  9. my brother lives in L.A. and has had guitars set up by Bill Asher (including a vintage SG having neck straightening in a heat press), and also had a Telecaster custom-built-

re. basses the client list includes Bunny Brunel.
  10. You have a phone number? How much are his rates?
    This guy from Ernie Ball is offering me a fret dressing for my SR5 for $40...quite a deal! The only catch is that I have to drive all the way up to SLO just to get it done!

The guitartraditions dude that the other poster recommended is rather pricey. $35 just to put strings on your axe? I guess if you had the money and lacked the time...

11. hmm, yeah.
    my brother does seem to have a lot of money to spend on guitars at present :meh:
    Bill Asher was mentioned in Rick Turner's Bass Player column as his assistant.