Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Laser

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Luke Sheridan, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    Anyone know where I can get wood cut with a laser? I've been emailing laserdoodads.com but haven't received a response.

2. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    :eek: the stuff on that site is incredible! You guys need to take a look at it. Their prices are quite surprising as well. I hope you hear back from them, i would be interested to hear a review of their work. BTW - What are you thinking of getting done?

3. Luke Sheridan

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Control cavity cover. I got some amazing walnut from Larry that I can't let go to waste!!!

4. Luke, this guy down in florida has cut custom templates for me in the past. I provide him with a CAD drawing and he laser cuts them on 1/4" masonite. Quite good. I use those as master templates and then make MDF templates for the work. I think is site is guitarbuildingtemplates.com ...his prices are good.

5. Luke Sheridan

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Nah. he says that's not his type of work. Whatever that means.
    Thanks though.

6. Aerolithe

Aerolithe

Jan 23, 2005
    Columbia, MO
    My school has a laser cutter or whatever you'd like to call it for the photonics program, and it's used for engraving wood and acrylic mostly. In my experience, it doesn't seem like this plan is very feasable. It took AGES to simply engrave a large pattern, cutting through 2 inches of wood would take several days at least. Second, I image there would be a high risk of burning the wood, theres usually flames when engraving wood but theres a vaccuum/air circulation thing that keeps things under control. I imagine if you tried to cut all the way through, however, the wood would get too hot. Maybe multiple passes wouldnt be an issue, but once you get deep in the wood the air circulation may not be very helpful.

7. Luke Sheridan

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I starting to rethink it as well. It doesn't look like too many people have used this method. I guess I can practice x3 on my new scroll saw, but I my first attempts cutting scrap have been pretty bad. BTW, the wood is 5/16.

8. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Carey Nordstrand uses a laser to cut his control cavity covers. He's as busy as a guy can get (so it may not be something he could do for you), but this is certainly something that can be done with a laser. 5/16 is a little thick -- I don't know lasers, but I'd suspect you'd want to go thinner to get good results.

9. the control cavity cover on my upcoming Eshenbaugh SC6 appears to have been laser cut. There seem to be a few people out there making instruments with laser cut control cavity covers and p'up covers.