1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lasic Surgery

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by paniak17, Mar 29, 2006.

1. I have -3.5 in one eye and -3.75 in another eye. I'm fifteen. How much is lasic for my vision(i'm not gonna get it now, but when i'm older, say 21 or so)? Have you had this operation? Comments?

P.S. What is my vision(a.k.a. 20/20 or 20/40) if my magnification is -3.75 and -3.5?

2. I can't personally speak from experience, but my older sister had it done and she loves the results. It only took like maybe 10-15 minutes too. I had the the duty of driving her to/from and saw the entire procedure...it looked pretty cool!

It was pretty expensive though. She wouldn't give me an exact number, but it was definitely around $1k.

3. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Technology changes a lot in 6 years. It'll probably be a lot less than what it is now if you wait.

4. Lets see.....how much was lasic(or whatever the earliest form of this procedure) back when it first came out?

5. groovit

groovit

Oct 12, 2004
    New Hampsha
    AFAIK, you can't get it before you're 18ish. Your eyes are still changing and growing until around that time, and they must be stablised prior to the operation.

6. lbpark

lbpark

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    While I can't speak from experience, I know 4 people who have had the surgery, and while their vision greatly improved, none of them have 20/20. Right now, it's not a miracle 'perfect vision' solution, but in a few years, who knows.

7. lbpark

lbpark

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    My aunt payed a lot more than that a few years ago.

8. kovachian

kovachian

Nov 5, 2005
    So is this for correcting near-sightedness or far-sightedness? Hell I don't even know which of those I am, I always get them mixed up.

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Bump, both my wife and I are interested...

:)

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I'd also like to know...

11. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    i was about 3.5 and had both eyes done....best money i ever spent....ever!!!!!!!!!!!! been about 5 years ..no complaints at all.

and 15 is way too young....you need at least four years of no change at thats probably only going to happen in your late 20s.

12. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    I'm now 20/15 in both eyes after lasik.

Wait until you're done growing to get it done. The lasik is pretty simple, but if you need to get it 'touched up' it isn't quite so pretty.

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    One of my former coworkers had lasik surgery, but as he got older he still found that he needed to reading glasses, i.e., "old people glasses". Not a big deal, it's part of the aging process. My dad had perfect vision his whole life but now needs a pair of cheaters.

I've heard a few rumors about minor negative side effects, but I suppose I should check with a licensed professional.

14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Just make sure the "licensed professional" isn't selling the procedure.

The surgery usually works out well for most people. I would never consider it. Read this site www.surgicaleyes.org for lots of information not from the people selling the procedure.

The massively long and complicated legal indemnity you have to sign to get the procedure should be a hint that something's not quite right.

15. Both my wife and I are Lasik patients. We had it done about 3 or 4 years ago for 1K per eye. As others have said, it's NOT the miracle solution unless you go with a custom or 'wavefront' type of procedure. Still the results are fantastic. I don't have to wear contacts when I play sports or do other activities. My vision is MUCH better than before but not quite as sharp as with glasses. It was worth the convenience though.

My doctor did tell me that at my age then, 30, that this would be a 10 to 15 year fix and nothing can stop the aging of the eye. I may still need reading glasses.

The procedure itself was relatively painless. I'd say more weird than anything. You don't feel pain, but rather pressure. There's people poking and pushing, etc. You're in, you're out and after a long nap, wake up with better vision!:hyper:

16. threshar

threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    I recently spoke with my eye doc about lasik. In my case there are two issues: 1. my eyes still changing about every 2 years 2. my perscription is so crazy they may not be able to do it depending on how thick my cornea is. (For ref: my perscription for contacts is -6.50, -6 - my glasses are in the 7s (contacts tend to always be lower) - I usually get some "wow" comments from the guys at lenscrafters when I need a new pair of glasses).

You are young. Go for contacts. They work fabulously. When you get older and your eyes stop changing you can look into it - plus another 5-10 years of development & research in that area will likely yield wonderful improvements.

17. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    It's not a miracle solution with those procedures either.
    It is never as sharp as with glasses for anyone. That's one reason I wouldn't consider it. Also there are contrast sensitivity problems in almost all cases.

18. I've noticed my vision at dawn or dusk isn't all that great.:meh:

Still, I'm glad I did it and happy to not wear glasses or contacts anymore.

19. He said in the original post he'd wait 'till around 21!!! Read.

The couple people I know who have gotten it like it, lack of sharpness or not. Also, one said he was really sensitive for about 4 days afterwards. The best thing you should do is go ask a few different doctors and people who have had it done. Like, in person.

20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I hear ads on the radio for $750 an eye around here. You can get it done for even less in Mexico. :eek:

I've been told by my eye doctor that I am good patient for this procedure. I decline each time. I only have one set of eyes, and I don't want to mess them up. Putting my contacts in each morning is not a big deal, and taking them out at night is not detracting from the overall quality of my life. I'm fine with the contacts.

-Mike