Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lasik anyone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Anybody have experience with getting your eyes burned out with laser in pursuit of better eyesight? I've been thinking about doing this. What'cha think?

2. Gabe

Gabe

Jan 21, 2003
    IMHO, I would prefer the time tested and safe method of glasses or contacts. I'm so used to my glasses that I don't even notice I'm wearing them half of the time.

Why would you go through all that trouble for something so easily correctable?

3. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    my mom did it and loves it. I personally dont mind contacts, and have gotten so used to them i can take them out as im passing out after a fun saturday night. You still have to wear reading glasses though.

4. My good friend had it done last year. I've checked up with her every once in a while because my eyesight is pretty awful. (I'm running Nikon5 for -10.00) She hasn't encountered any of the typical problems such as loss of night vision. She has perfect eyesight now. Had it subsidized through work though so it cost her nearly nothing.

5. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I am getting it as soon as I am old enough to be eligible. Everyone I know who has had it absloutely loves it and has had no problems. I've had contacts for 6 years and they are just too much effort. Lasik practically pays for itself in about 3 years anyway.

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, the navy is doing PRK on me on the 1st of next month...i figure what the heck, i can barely see anyway...

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Appropriate quote.

I would recommend spending some time reading Surgical Eyes before considering LASIK.

From what I understand other procedures like the PRK that neptoon is getting are safer than LASIK.

BTW, eye surgery complications tend to increase dramatically for people with really strong prescriptions.

Personally I would not let those lasers anywhere near my precious eyeballs. The chances of something going wrong may be low, but they're ZERO for glasses. I can think of a million other things I'd rather spend the money on than eye surgery.

8. jetwrench

jetwrench

Sep 16, 2003
    I had it done 2 years ago and am still 20/15!! Take it from me, I put it off for about 4 years because I was so afraid something would go wrong, but now I realize that I was just being a pussy. It is like a whole new world. I wore glasses and contacts for 17 years, and not having to depend on them anymore is something you just can't explain!

9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    My wife got it done last year, after a lifetime of being legally blind without glasses/lenses.

Straight away she was much better, for the first three months she described seeing slight 'halos' round lights but they went away and now she's 20/20 and loving it!

10. i'd like to get it done coz glasses seem to make you use your eye muscles less [let the lenses do the work], and the prescriptions just get stronger over time. plus your eyes seem to look more tired with glasses.

i think the key is finding a truly objective opthamologist you can trust. too many docs are on the lasik bandwagon coz it's very lucrative. i was very pleased when my optho-guy told me that technically i was an ok candidate for lasik, but he'd prefer to see the procedure evolve more before recommending it. also, at that point, he thought it wasn't as full-proof for people with astigmatism.

i say if you're truly determined to be a great candidate, by several doctors, then go for it. life without glasses is truly liberating.

loser of 27 pairs of eyeglasses-
    meeks

11. jetwrench

jetwrench

Sep 16, 2003
    Just a word of advice if you are planning to get the surgery. Here in the Detroit area there are only a couple of facilities that do the actual surgery. The doctors in the area all lease time on the machines for their patients because it would way to expensive for each doctor to own his own. And the funny thing is that the doctor doesn't even perform the surgery, he is there to supervise and observe. It is all done by the technician that runs the computer. So even if there are guys claiming to be much better at it, and have twice the cost, chances are they are ripping you off.

My friend had his done at $1900 per eye, mine was through a different doctor at $1600 for both eyes 2 weeks later. Same machine, same room, same technicians, etc....

Well, at least that is they way it is here in Michigan.

12. I got mine right after I graduated from high school in June 96. Definitely worth it to me.

13. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Can any of these procedures help with presbyopia?
    AKA "old man's eyesight". I'm sick of these
    damn bifocals, oops, er, um, progressive lenses

14. If I recall, they can do a different correction in each eye ("monovision", I think it was called), and supposedly you learn to use the proper eye for the type of vision you need. Don't quote me, but I think that's what they recommended to my parents.

15. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>> Sounds weird..

16. Another reason for me not to do Lasik, I just spent a boatload of money on my ultra-hip glasses. :cool:

17. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I'm surpised they let you do it so young. I was talking to my optometrist about LASIK when I was getting my eyes checked, and she said usually your prescription has to be stable for a few years before they recommend LASIK eye surgery. Usually kids coming out of high school haven't had a steady prescription, and if you go to college all that reading is pretty hard on the eyes.

18. I'd had horrible vision since third grade, and it hadn't worsened for a long time, so I guess they figured it was stabilised. I actually made it out of college in 2000--now I'm in grad school and my vision is still fine.