Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Last Aerodyne post for me! :D

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gord, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    Hello guys,
    Today I was bumming around different guitar stores, and I noticed a noname bass but it had a seymour duncan quarter pounder P pickup and two jazz pickups squished together. The bass sucked but the tone was huge and it sounded so great, so just a question, (apperance aside) is it worth buying a new Aerodyne, or routing my precision at home to accompany one or even two jazz seymour duncan 1/4 pounders? The bass now is great (perloid pickguard, rare colour, badass bridge) but I am wanting a change, maybe I should add jazz pickups (or even a soapbar?) and buy a new bass, a aerodyne when I have a precision seems a bit redundant, so what do you think? worth it to buy a new bass, or route a new pickup in the precision?

2. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    I would just save up and get a aerodyne or p deluxe/special depending on neck preference. I used to think about routing and adding this and that when I first started playing, but in the end it almost always turns out for the better (luthier money, resale value, messed up self done route job/pup placement/complications) to leave your bass as-is. Play your butt off, get really good, save up, and earn that euro spector/p deluxe/aerodyne/lakland skyline.

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
  4. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    I've looked around for Ibanez but there's only one model they have, anywhere, i dont remember the name but it's got a humbuckler and a jazz pickup. Interesting sound, but I think I'm sold on the P/J from a fender, but that ibanez sounds definetally worth finding since it's the exact upgrades I want to do

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I mounted a pair of J pups at the bridge ala MM style and they in fact sounded very much like an MM pup. Since there's an endless supply of J pups, in terms of versatility in tone, it makes more sense to have a pair of J's than an MM. No PJ is going to sound like a P with a Pair of J's.

To me the most important aspect of a bass is feel, play, and acoustic tone. If you have that much, you can modify other elements to get a sound. So I'm guessing you have that or you probably wouldn't even consider keeping the bass. I tried a bunch of different basses in trying to get the right combination and finally just stuck to the one that had those three elements and routed away. I routed 5 of them and have had no desire (or likely ever will) for another bass since.

On the flip side, routing a pair of J's is no beginner project unless you just route a rectangle and fashion a pickguard to cover.

6. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    Ah my precision back home has great feel and acoustic sound, so maybe I will route. How did you route the two j's? They have the rounded screw holes don't they? I would love to see a picture of how you did it. I don't think I'll be personally routing the bass, I have bad luck with doing things myself. There's a great luthier in town who does things under the table to avoid expensive prices, great guy

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

That's not an easy route and probably won't be cheap - which doesn't mean it won't be worth it regardless. Due to the thin wall between J's, there's a good chance of it chipping - especially if the bass has a hard finish.

I just routed rectangles - BIG ONES!: 3/4" x 4" x 7". Since I can mount any pup config now and put them where I want, I have no use for other basses cause I can get whatever sound I want as the basses all vary acoustically from thudder to bright.

Acoustically Dark, bright, midrange with SD Rics, Carvin Alnico 5 MM, and Marcus Miller J's respectively.

BEWARE OF BASS PLAYER

Attached Files:

8. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Holy mother...Jack the router! :eek: :D