1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Last bday present from my wife, she said: it is not a Fender, Is she rigth?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pedroims, Mar 1, 2008.

1. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    This is the last present that I got from my wife on my bday, actually I told her that I would like to modify my MIA Fender P, so now it is back home with a new neck: golco alves and ebony, hipshot bridge and norstrand pickups, from the original Fender there is only the body and tuners left, I asked my wife if I should put a Fender decal, she said: what you should do that, is not a Fender any longer :)

precosioan008.
    precosioan009.
    precosioan013.

2. The tone knobs and the bridge are not fender

3. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    You are right , knobs either, the originals should be somewhere this room

4. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    As he said only the body & tuners are still Fender.

5. looks great though, is she a treat to play?

6. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Oh yes she is. The sound from the nordys is very clear and old school, sounds like a P should sound to me, the neck is fast and the feel is great. Love her

7. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    There's a good bit of disagreement on this site about that. I personally would not put a Fender decal on a neck not made by Fender. Yes, the body is a Fender, but you'd be putting the decal on the neck. If it's a Warmoth neck, let it sport a Warmoth decal.

I'd go with neck and body as the deciding parts that allow you to call it by a manufacturer's name. You'll see plenty of images here of "my Fender with Badass bridge, Nordstrand pups, Audere pre, Hipshot tuners and Jeannie pg" but most of those will still have the original body and neck.

8. Personally, I would probibly put some sort of logo on the top. Just having it blank would bug the hell out of me. I wouldn't put the fender logo on though. I would probibly make up some botique sounding name and put it on there.

9. EddieN

EddieN

Mar 21, 2007
    Same knobs you'd find on a Jazz, Mustang or early Musicmaster, as well as several Fender guitars, right? Unusual to see those a on P. They look good.

10. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Nothing wrong with a blanc headstock.

11. RBrownBass

Aug 22, 2004
    I disagree. I hate blank headstocks. Hate 'em.

But that's avoidable, because he knows who made his neck. All he has to do is get a logo from that company and he's good to go. If it's made by a company whose purpose is to make necks for custom builders (Allparts, Warmoth, USACG, Musikraft, Mighty Mite) then he can design his own logo. That's what they intended for him to do. And again, if it's a Warmoth or USACG, they also make their own logos.

12. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    the neck is made by warmoth and I have two decals: warmoth and Fender , I do not plant to use neither. Basically because the bass is not neither a Fender nor a warmonth.I would like to put something in the headstock as : "Jesus' Precision "

I respect the players that like to use decals for any *TM brand, but I changed the parts because I wanted to sond "different" so if a decal will be on the headstock then it will be different from the original one... just to be consistent:)

13. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Beautiful bass.

I was wondering... what kind of bridge is that? Hipshot?

Also, how do you like the extended (as in, 21 fret) fingerboard?

14. RBrownBass

Aug 22, 2004
    Looks like a Hipshot A style to me.

15. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I ordered a "Fender FRAKENBASS" decal and requested it follow the lines of "Fender PRECISION BASS" for a modded bass I'm still butchering. I haven't gotten it yet but it could be a cool alternative to a real Fender decal for you.

16. I think that if the neck is not a Fender, then a Fender logo does not belong on it. But I think it would be fun to buy some decal material, then use it to design and create your own personal logo.

17. silversport

silversport

Dec 13, 2007
    Webtroll...I like your style...Fender Frankenbass in the Fender Precision Bass style would be my choice...I was going to say Franken Fender but your answer is better...by the way...that is a very SWEET looking bass...
    Bill

18. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Yeah, if it's not a Fender neck then it's not a Fender neck. Don't make it look like it is. But if you want to then go ahead.

Although I'm totally behind you when you say you want to put a completely different decal on there. Much more personal and much much cooler.

19. Rakie

Rakie Let me take you down, 'cause I'm going to...

Put "Pedroims" on the headstock.

Last thing to upgrade is the body and Tuners, then you're set !!!

And you'll have another disassembled bass hanging around, put it together and AB them !!! (Would be very entertaining thread)

20. I am thinking Warmoth turtle and Precision bass, together on the headstock :)