Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Last call: shallow power amps...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Jan 12, 2002.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm in the final stages of building a minimalist rack rig that won't give me a hernia. I thought I'd put up one last plea for ideas before I commit to the poweramp purchase.

My rack is:

* A SKB 4U XRack, which is approximately 10 1/2" deep. This shallow depth is central to my whole project.

* A Korg DTR-2 rack tuner (thanks, Soybase!).

* A SansAmp RBI preamp.

* A 2U poweramp.

I'm 99% decided on a Carvin DCM1000 - as a matter of fact, the Carvin's shallowness was the impetus of my idea to build a half-depth rack.

But...before I order the Carvin next week (I have to wait for a check to clear first), are there any other quality poweramps out there that meet these requirements?

1) Better that 200W per channel at 8 Ohm stereo;

2) Better than 600W bridged at 4 Ohms;

3) Light in weight (under 30 pounds);

4) 1U or 2U;

5) (and this is the killer) 10 1/2" deep or shallower?

I've looked at specs for every amp I can think of, and the depth is the issue. I really want to do this in a shallow rack due to back seat room in my car. I like the Carvin's rep, and was considering one even before I got this wild hair up my arse to use an effects sized rack case.

Thanks!

2. Peavey has a one space power amp that is like 1400 watts. I think it was the 1400xx model or something like that. It uses special switching so it is really small and light.

jtbp

3. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    That's an amazing amp, but it's also 16" deep...

4. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    OK, I pulled the trigger on a Carvin CDM1000 today. Thanks, everyone!