Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Last Comic Standing: Bastards!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    [​IMG]

This man is a genius. He has the funniest one liners I've ever heard, and yet he was voted off. I really think he was too intellegent for America. It's rare that I laugh out loud at a comic, I ususally just smile. Except that dumbass that beat him who wasn't remotely funny. I guess America wants funny, but not that funny.

"You might rember me, I'm the fourth guy on the evolutionary chart."

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i think it's the tiny-tim/kenny g doo that america wants to have no truck with.

3. i didn't find jay london funny ever. all of his "good" jokes were the really obvious ones (fourth one on the chart, etc.).

i think antonio should and will win. he's the only one whose jokes i've laughed at every time. of course, i liked the guy from minnesota to win last year and he got beat by the vietnamese poor kid. what ever happened to him?

of course, the important part in all of this is that we're making shows designed to keep people laughing. who else thinks comedy is seriously important and is thankful we have actually funny shows and a whole tv network devoted to it?

robb.

4. I love Comedy Central. I am constantly viewing, more than any station.

I don't watch that much TV, but I am so thankful they air the previous night's episodes of Conan O Brien, and LOVE Friday nite standup...also glad they opted to air MAD TV now, infinitely funnier than the SNL tripe they were repeating ad nauseum.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The only other comic I like on that show is the guy who won the fryers roast.

RCZ, you obviously don't appreciate one liners then.

"You know what burns me? Matches!"

"It's almost over"
    "You'll never see me again, sir."

Very much a crazier Rodney Dangerfield.

6. +1

Steven Wright wouldn't even have been invited to the house. He could school all of 'em.

[deadpan]
    "I once accidentally used my car keys in my front door, and my house started up...so I drove it around awhile. Then I parked my house in the freeway median, went outside and yelled at everybody to get out of my driveway."
    [/deadpan]

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Amazing. Simply Amazing. It honestly doesn't get any better than that deadpan absolutely insane humor. That's what I go for in real life and fail at completely.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Antonio? Are you sure you're watching the same show that we're talking about?

Dat Phan...yeah he was pretty one dimensional but then again I didn't think Ralphie May was that funny either. I've been listening to some of Ralphie May's album on Rhapsody and that confirmed it for me...not very funny. I was really surprised that Dat Phan made it that far. I don't think someone so one-dimensional (all jokes about being vietnamese) would win. Look at ant...all his jokes were about being gay and the first time he got challenged he got slaughtered. Well, at least Dat Phan's jokes about being vietnamese were somewhat funny...I guess that counts. As far as what he's doing now, they interviewed him in the first episode of this season and he said he just finished making a movie with Kim Basinger. Life's not fair.

brad cook

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Speaking of one sided: I hated that Ant guy. Ever single one of his jokes seemed the punchline was: "I'm gay." I mean, sometimes it was funny, but everytime it was like "I wonder where this joke is going." :rollno:

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Matt,

I agree...Jay made me laugh too. Kind of a cross between Mitch Hedberg and Rodney Dangerfield.

"My girlfriend has crabs so I bought her some fishnet stockings."

I think he's just a bit too offbeat for the mainstream like that. I don't think someone like Mitch Hedberg would have fared well in that kind of crowd either. We differ though in that I actually thought Gary Gulman had good stuff. I wish Todd Glass would have beaten Tammy though...she's just freakin' annoying and unfunny. I could see Alonzo Bodden winning this. He's got good material and excellent delivery and I think people are intimidated by both his comedy talent and his physical presence...I think that plays into it a little bit. I also think his jokes are a little more sophisticated though and that could possibly hurt him against someone with simple, straightforward material. We saw that happen last season with Dave whatshisface. While I thought Gary had decent material his delivery is lacking. I don't think Corey is very funny but I could see someone like him appealing to the same kind of audience that chose a Dat Phan.

brad cook

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Which is why Mitch Hedburg rocks as well.

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah and it seemed like he saved his least funny material for his challenge with Gary. There was a reason why Ant did NOT make it into the house when he tried out last season...I guess second time's a charm.

brad cook

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

My thoughts exactly. I think he will develop a cult following after this.

My absolute favorite: "I use to date a promiscuous impressionist, she did everybody."

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    In fact... sig changed.

15. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I really liked "I went to see a urologist. He said I could go at any time.". Now THAT was funny! :D

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    "It all started when my dog began receiving rollover minutes"

17. Mitch Hedberg gets my best one liner award.

18. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    "I work at Bed, Bath , and Beyond. You'll find me in the Beyond department."

19. I have to give it up to Mitch Hedburg "Smokey the bear is much more intimidating in person"

Ron White "I got thrown out of a bar..." k, heard it a few times, but he is still damn funny

and dave Chappelle. Not the show, but his stand up that he did before he got on cable. "Sesame St. is a terrible place...6 foot pidgeons walking around.."

20. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

"Tater Salad" White kills me!!!

"Ever take a crap so big your pants just fit better???...........I'm about one turd away from an old wardrobe."

"I don't think police should be allowed to set up these drunk driver checkpoints. I haven't had one auto accident on any sidewalk I've been driving on........that's just profiling!"

[​IMG]