1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Last couple things before ordering a Stringray HH

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kosko, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    So I've always been fighting with myself about ordering a Stingray or a Sterling, then I heard about the HHs coming out. After hearing about these it was the nail in the coffin for ordering a Music Man. Then there's the options. So far the specs I want are:

5 String Carbon Blue
    Black Perloid Pickguard
    Rosewood Neck (most likely)
    Matching Headstock

One of the items I was considering was the piezo pick-up. I've heard almost literally nothing about these. From what I have heard they give a little more growl to the low end and some bite to the high end. Sounds like something I want. So this would put the bass at 2 H pick-ups and a piezo. Sounds like an intense tone machine to me. I was wondering if anyone has experience with piezo pick-ups and could tell me about them.

I'm also between the carbon blue and pearl blue, though that doesn't matter to much. Besides that, 8-10 weeks and I should have my first Stingray. Pretty exciting really, to me at least :)

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I think you'll have all the versatility you need with a twin bucker model. I used to own a Stingray 5 with a piezo (The immortal and well traveled Graperay), and honestly, I hardly ever used it. It can ad a little bump in the low end, and a bit of high snap, but it wasn't really enough to be noticable in a band setting. This is just MHO, but I'd probably say it isn't worth the extra cost.

3. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I'm with Mister Whiz. IF you were going fretless, yeah, I'd get the piezos, but I never found much use for the piezos (and I owned the fabled Graperay, too) in a loud rock and roll setting.

IMHO, of course.

Bass sounds like it's going to be a good one.

"Where are you ordering it from?", he asked slyly.

4. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    Ah, thanks for the info.

And Bovinehost... you I believe ;) (This is Dan by the way)

5. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    See? That's what I get for not hanging around here more often.

:bassist:

6. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    And there is also the fact that you can't get a piezo on the dual pickup Stingrays right now.