Last couple things before ordering a Stringray HH

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kosko, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    So I've always been fighting with myself about ordering a Stingray or a Sterling, then I heard about the HHs coming out. After hearing about these it was the nail in the coffin for ordering a Music Man. Then there's the options. So far the specs I want are:

5 String Carbon Blue
    Black Perloid Pickguard
    Rosewood Neck (most likely)
    Matching Headstock

One of the items I was considering was the piezo pick-up. I've heard almost literally nothing about these. From what I have heard they give a little more growl to the low end and some bite to the high end. Sounds like something I want. So this would put the bass at 2 H pick-ups and a piezo. Sounds like an intense tone machine to me. I was wondering if anyone has experience with piezo pick-ups and could tell me about them.

I'm also between the carbon blue and pearl blue, though that doesn't matter to much. Besides that, 8-10 weeks and I should have my first Stingray. Pretty exciting really, to me at least :)
  2. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I think you'll have all the versatility you need with a twin bucker model. I used to own a Stingray 5 with a piezo (The immortal and well traveled Graperay), and honestly, I hardly ever used it. It can ad a little bump in the low end, and a bit of high snap, but it wasn't really enough to be noticable in a band setting. This is just MHO, but I'd probably say it isn't worth the extra cost.
  3. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I'm with Mister Whiz. IF you were going fretless, yeah, I'd get the piezos, but I never found much use for the piezos (and I owned the fabled Graperay, too) in a loud rock and roll setting.

IMHO, of course.

Bass sounds like it's going to be a good one.

"Where are you ordering it from?", he asked slyly.
  4. Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Ah, thanks for the info.

And Bovinehost... you I believe ;) (This is Dan by the way)
  5. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    See? That's what I get for not hanging around here more often.

6. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    And there is also the fact that you can't get a piezo on the dual pickup Stingrays right now.