1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Last game at the Stadium

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by adammazza, Sep 23, 2008.

1. I went to the last game at Yankee stadium this past Sunday. I went to my first game there in 78 or 79 when I was 5 or so.

Even with the opening ceremonies and all the cheering, the mood seemed somber at best. I'm sure the new stadium will be nice, but it will be tough to ever compete with the original.

Adam

2. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    And you didn't take pics? :eyebrow:

3. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    what did u steal?

4. Heh, I got some lead paint from a wall :).

Actually the game was not without incident. Anyone that's in NYC knows what a nightmare it would be to drive to Yankee Stadium, especially for a game like this.

I drove a few miles from the stadium (89th and Madison), parked and walked to the train. Somewhere between parking and going to the train I lost my tickets!!!:crying:

Called the wife, she couldn't find them. I was pretty upset since I was taking my 6yo son for his bday. I was actually thinking that I would scalp tickets or use Stubhub and sell my Fender Amer Dlx to fund this.

Before I did this, I called up Stub Hub who I originally got the tickets from (these were actual tix, not the ones that get emailed) and told them I lost them. They put me on hold for 15 minutes, came back on and told me they were able to contact the seller and he could actually email me the tickets. At this point I had to find a Kinkos so I could print the tickets.

After this whole ordeal we made it up to the stadium, and they scanned our tickets at the gate and let us in. We get to our seats and there is someone in our seats. It was a father with his 11yo son in from Cali. He admitted he bought the tickets from some guy in front of his hotel about an hour before. A cop told him his best chance was just to wander around the stadium and look for open seats.

I felt bad for him, and actually gave hime $60 (half of what he paid the crackhead for the tickets). I hope him and his son got to see the game.

Anyway it will definitely be something my son and I remember.

Adam

5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    If Steinbrenner & Co. hadn't driven Joe Torre out, maybe there'd still be baseball there for another couple weeks. ;)

6. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Wow. That's some story. :)

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    For the first time in about 11 or 12 years I got to see a game at Shea Stadium last month. It, too, is in its last season, but there's a decent chance there'll be some post-season play.

8. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Great pics (even if they are of the Yankees and Orioles)!

9. Cool pictures, man.

Also saw from your EXIF data that you're using a Canon G9. How do you like it? :) I'm hoping to pick one up next year as a more portable alternative to my DSLR.

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

...with that bullpen?!

11. Actually that is what I use it for, an alternative to my 40D. I really like the G9, it has RAW which I usually use, not in this case though. All the photos were some processed with Adobe Lightroom 2.0

12. I live a 5 minute drive from Shea, I took my kids there this year to see it before they shut it down. Before that I hadn't been there since going to see the Jets in 83 and the Rolling Stones in 86.

I have a pretty big dislike towards the Mets, it may stem from the fact that they being the main lease holder of Shea stadium really forced the Jets out and into the the arms of NJ (before 78 the Jets couldn't play a home game before the baseball season ended.)

When my kids were younger, I used to drive them by Shea stadium during low tide, as you can imagine it stinks. Since a person's sense of smell is it one of their strongest senses and tied to their memories my thought is/was that they would always associate that smell with Shea, and therefore the Mets ;)

13. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Cool story. I went to the Yankees game last Friday night while I was in town. First time I've ever actually been inside the stadium. I couldn't believe what a dump the place was. I expected it to be old and outdated, but I wasn't prepared for what I saw. Still, it was one of the greatest sporting experiences I've ever had, and I'm not really a Yankees fan. The game itself that night was fantastic, and with just a touch of cool air, it felt nice. The new stadium going up next door looks very nice. And yeah, the traffic was pretty horrendous getting in and out.

It's rather sad to see this stadium go away. I hope the new place has the same excitement about i.

14. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    I was a Jets fan until they moved to New Jersey.