1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LAST MINUTE DECISION OFFER ON THE TABLE..ADVICE NEEDED:

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by richspillberg, Jun 3, 2011.

1. richspillberg

richspillberg

May 31, 2011
    Figured I'd get some last words from you guys to help me on my decision. I have a package deal going and just got offered two bass cabs.

The Schroeder 412L or the EBS Evolution PROLINE 2000

I am playing a MESA 400+ and want to run two Ernie Ball Music Man HD410s at 8 ohms into one side and then one of these 4 ohm cabs in the right.

Should I mix drivers? 8 10s and 4 12s? I've got a lot of watt handling capability here but definitely do want to hang on to the Ernie Balls.

2. richspillberg

richspillberg

May 31, 2011
    bump

3. gscroggin

gscroggin Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2006
    CT
    Depends on the sound you're after, but I can't say enough great things about the Schroeders. I just picked up two more (1212's) and am sooooo glad I did. They are definitely colored though.

4. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Tough one, but I'll give it a shot.
    After viewing both cabs just moments ago, I would get the Schroeder because of it's design, which looks like it would pump out some serious low end.
    I don't know what kind of shows you play where you would need that much but since you'll be stacking two 410's, the EBS, with it's more vertical stance, is like adding another big tower which to me is kind of unecessary.
    Now you'll here a lot around here about mixing cabs and all that but the fact is many top players like Tom Hamilton and John Entwhistle (RIP), mix (or mixed) cabs, but they had multiple heads running them and all kinds of EQ stuff happening to get their sound.
    Therefore I think you should add a second head to power the Schroeder and split your bass into two signals with an A/B box or preferably a Sanasamp. Now you'll have enough clean power to drive all them speakers, plus you have greater flexibilty when it comes to EQ, effects, etc...

:eek:

5. My first though is how are you going to match the impedances into a tube amp? The pair of 4x10s will present 4Ω to the amp. Adding another 4Ω cab will drop that to 2Ω. If your amp has a 2Ω tap it would work. The caveat is that the one "new" cab will take half the power from your amp while the pair of 4x10s will get a quarter each. IOW the 4Ω box will do twice the work of either of the other two.

In any mixture of cabinets, identical boxes are always the better route.

6. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    The Mesa 400+ is stable down to 2 ohms, but he'll have to daisy chain the pair of 410s. The Schroeder should be able to handle half the load easily, but can't speak on how well the cabs would work together. I'm still surprised that the OP needs that kind of volume though.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Me too, if 2 410's ain't enough, there would seem to be other problems. Not to mention how the power would be split between cabs, (not well), and the further problem of possible comb filtering, etc- just seems like there's something else going on here. Why on earth would you want more than 8 10's? Is it a matter of, because it *can* be done?

8. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    My Bass 400 sounds devastating through my 8x10. Nothing more is needed.
    I can see running two separate heads, but not two mismatched speaker stacks from one head.

9. Nightlyraider

Nightlyraider

Sep 30, 2009
    Minneapolis
    It is ALOT of speaker you are talking about. Are you going for a "showy stack"? Either of those might work, to mixed effect. You will probably experience phase issues and you will have a very narrow "usable" sound area before all the speakers side by side simply wash into one another.

Maybe get more efficient cabinets (cough fearful bump cough) and just have two big cabs? I have two 15/6's off a 400+ and don't think you could possibly need more than that in any situation.

Unless you are trying to play an outdoor show of many many many people without any PA support...