1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Last new build of 2006

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Rodent, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    It's been awhile since I last posted a new build thread - not that I haven't been building new basses, just that I haven't posted many of them since they are of similar design.

Anyway, to end the year I thought I'd post the progress on the last new build to be worked this year (2006)

RD06402N_1.

2-pc Black Korina body in my standard modern body shape
    1-pc quartersawn Maple/Ziricote bolt-on neck with zero fret
    18v Aguilar OBP-1 pre-amp
    Nordstrand NPJ4SE pickups
    Hipshot Ultralights and de-tuner

more images as things progress

all the best,

R

2. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    It's lookin good man! That ziricote is a very nice looking fretboard, should look good on the korina.

Greg

3. DigthemLows

DigthemLows Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    I've liked every bass of yours that I've seen.......Classy!

4. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    updated image that captures the wood colors better. I still need to carve the arm/tummy contours and route the control cavity before finish sanding

RD06402N_2_BodyRoughedAndFretboardB.

I'm really not liking the Maple against the Black Korina, so I'm contemplating the use of European Pear for the neck blank instead. Without getting into a discussion of wood tone, what's the thoughts on alternative woods that compliment the Korina and Ziricote? And FWIW, I do not utilize Wenge in my building unless it's for a fretboard - I just don't need the weight and splinters

all the best,

R

5. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    No splinters? :D Where is the fun in that? We are supposed to suffer for our art? I like the Korina. How about using more for the neck?

6. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    Update: this just arrived back from the paint shop this afternoon :hyper:

RD06402N_4_Front.
    RD06402N_3_Back.

Since my original posting, the fretboard for this has been switched to Wenge - it works with the body colors in a more pleasing way than the Ziricote was. I'll have an update again later this month

all the best,

R

7. bassman74

bassman74 Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    Very nice looking, Rodent. I like the design and i like the wood choices too. once again very nice looking bass, can't wait to see the neck.
    Francois

8. gyancey

gyancey Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I don't think I'll ever use ziricote again for a fretboard. The end result is amazing but not worth the trouble! Too waxy, hard to sand, brittle, it moves, doesn't like to hold fret tangs, etc.

9. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    this last build also has a Maple over Alder sister that was started a week earlier. I also received this one back from the paint shop yesterday, and you can see it here with a rough piece of what will become its Cocobolo fretboard

RD06506_BodyBackFromPaintShop_Topjp.

unlike the Black Korina body which will be loaded with an Aggie/Nordy package, this one will be an all passive V/B/T Dark Star monster. sadly, the image does no justice in capturing the full depth of that Maple top.

all the best,

R

10. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    I must say, I do like the Jazz meets Spector look, very cool.

11. Yikes Greg!!! We use ziricote for acoustic guitar back and sides. Premium figure commands a very high price these days since it's on Mexico's restricted export list and acoustic luthiers don't seem to encounter problems as bad as you have. I'm cutting out 15 sets to display at ASIA symposium in Missouri this May. Hate to see a good wood develop an unwarranted reputation....spreads like grass fire once it's started.

12. So R, what did you end up using as the neck wood instead of maple?

13. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    I have a nice selection of European pear from Larry that is getting a serious consideration. I've had a ton of day-job business travel the past two months ... and sadly I still have to start the neck on this. I should be making the first cuts into the pear this coming weekend

I do have the quartersawn Maple/Cocobolo neck started for the Alder/Maple body

all the best,

R