Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Last night at CBGB....

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Mar 9, 2001.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Played CBGB last night. A hardcore band that had just gotten signed to Interscope played before us. They had a pretty big hardcore following, and the energy in the place was getting kind of dark and weird. They were NOT an ideal opening act for us. Our stuff is colorful fun punk stuff. We were getting a kick out of it though - our opening peice is an intentionally obnoxious accapella thing that starts "I don't smoke pot, I never shot dope - I don't even drink on New Year's, my body is not, a work of art and not a one of my nipples is pierced....etc".

Well to make a long story short - we were being video taped with a couple of cameras for editing purposes. One was panning throgh the crowd, the other on us. We had a pretty decent crowd there and ourselves and the energy seemed great. We were totally getting off on it. People were throwing plastic bottles at us and ashtrays and stuff and it added to the fun. They were real loud, we played a great gig - and we all went home kinda happy.

I got home with the video tape of the crowd, and I was shocked. We couldn't hear a lot of the noise from the crowd while on the stage - but in the video I saw the hardcore bands friends chanting the other bands name, and screaming that we sucked! The bottle throwing was from them out of anger or stupidity, not OUR fans. A lot of the noise and stuff that was getting us going, was their dumb assed negativity - it worked in our favor though. People had told us when we were done that we handled those assholes pretty well, but we didn't know what they were talking about. I guess we did.

Althouh things went well, I couldn't help thinking about it today. What the hell is wrong with people. I'm glad in a way that they did what they did because it proves we somehow made them feel threatened, but that's such lame ass garbage. One of the guys yelled into the camera "THIS BAND SUCKS!!!!", but was really polite to me backstage. I'm no JWC, but if I'd have seen the video while he was there I'd have loved to smash his hardcore face. He was very nice to my face, but had a real big mouth when we were up on stage. I'm not a fan of hardcore but I respect that people are different. I don't like people sometimes.

Just felt like ranting a little.

swamp_bass and S-Bigbottom like this.
  2. Dude, don't sweat it, consider the situation.....

3. Well, if you had an all hardcore crowd while you play punk, I wouldn't be amazed if they were like that. I go to this local place Ground Zero and it's mostly Punk and Hardcore. The punk kids leave when the hardcore is on and the hardcore kids leave when the punk is on. I stay for both b/c I'm in both worlds. =P

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    gawd...punk and hardcore, hardcore and punk. isn't there any other scene right now? what are the losers and outcasts into?

that's what i was when i was in high school. an outcast. loser too, but hey :D.

5. Well, I like almost everything. I can't get into rap. nor country. I can't listen to Blink 182. But I listen to stuff from Strainsky to Coltrane to SRV to Metallica to Offspring to Mudvayne. I enjoy not being popular :D... well at least not in school. :)

6. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Anyway, that was pretty cheap shot at me Joe Nerve. That post I made about smacking a guy was a joke, and I stated that in 2 different posts. I guess you thought it was safe to bring my name up again, huh. Say my name, and I will come. Oh yes, I am back. Sorry about your gig. But maybe you took a cheap shot at one of them too.

7. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    cheap shot? people have a certain opinion and vibe about you because of the content of _YOUR_ posts. your seemingly endless attention-mongering, insults and general recalcitrance made you a legend around here. you should be proud :rolleyes:.

the next time, there won't be no coming back, chief.

8. Gel

Gel

Mar 26, 2000
    Tauranga, New-Zeland

Basically everyone is into either 'hip-hop' or 'rap-metal' around my school (Hail New-Zealand :))

I just think it's pretty sad that all this great music comes out and its real powerful and creative and then commerciallism wrecks it. All these crappy bands copy the style and sound vibe, but fail pathetically because they are all counterfeits. The real bad thing is that people are into it..to me that is very sad.

I'm pretty much an outcast because I do nothing but listen and play music all day, or discuss it.I listen to EVERYTHING that is good. I am the most anti-social person I know off.

Sorry, I just felt like talking something and I did.I'd tell you to skip this, but if you're reading THIS you've probably already read the whole thing. Sorry again.

9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey gel

that sounds just like me when i was in high school. i'm glad to hear there are still a few like us out there :D.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's a self-esteem thing with JWC. You just make it worse by picking on him.

What's a CBGB? Cowboy Bob's Gay Bar? Now, now, now, folks. I did not say anything negatory about gay people, so get that right out of your minds.

11. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    that's right mom, it is my self esteem, im glad you all know so much about me

12. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    i consider myself an outcast and i listen to whatever i consider good. This ranges from Mr. Manson to Sisters of Mercy to classical sometimes. If the "popular" group is listnig to music which i consider good, i'm not put off by that, i keep on listning to it. Unlike some people who are dead set on liking everything the cheerleaders and jocks dont.

13. Sampoerna

Sampoerna Guest

Oct 9, 2000
    W. KY, USA
    CBGB kept bouncing around in my head, and I finally realized why. It's in a line from Talking Heads' song "Life During Wartime".

“This ain't no party, this ain't no disco,
    this ain't no fooling around
    This ain't no mudd club, or C. B. G. B.,
    I ain't got time for that now”

TH at CBGB

Gazman likes this.
  14. CBGB'S is a place where many bands play to get big.

15. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    no, that's not self-esteem, that's an extreme need for attention.

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, JWC, I don't need to be your mom to see your low self-esteem. You wear it like a pair of plaid shorts.

17. Careful the way you throw around "plaid shorts", I happen to like plaid shorts.......

One Drop likes this.
  18. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    when I was in high school (which was..er..up to last year), my favorite stuff was prog-rock. I'm into more "pop" stuff (in a good way) now, though I still love Yes and a couple other prog bands.

19. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

LMBO...plaid shorts RULE!!:D

Oh and christos...I think he's just referring to the way that plaid shorts "stick out". You wear 'em, people are gonna notice ya:D

20. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Hmmmmmm.....

First off, I'm amazed at how this became a JWC thread with one little mention of the guy. Well, not really. Secondly, and here I may go making my first enemy - but might this not be a bit of an overreaction. I hate to come to JWC's defense here, but it would seem to me that if anyone had intelligience enough to see through the rable rousing JWC tries to cause, it would simply roll off their back. I got a huge smile on my face when I saw him trying to pick a fight with me. Why so little a sense of humor. I for one don't want to take life so seriously.

Plus I'm absolutely positive that if I ever got into any kind of fight with JWC I'd knock him silly.

PS: I realize that Talkbass is meant to be a safe forum for people of all ages and that it's certain people's job to keep it that way, but I really think we should keep our personal peeves out of it and allow the forum to shine in all it's colors. Personality is what makes this enjoyable.

S-Bigbottom likes this.