1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

last night i played a 76' P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, Mar 29, 2009.

1. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    and the neck felt really nice. i played a 79' and the neck felt wider and more narrow with sharper edges. the 76' felt like it was rolled, and just perfect as far as thickness/width.

is this typical from year to year like that?

2. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    Typical? Only if you consider how inconsistent Fender's production line was in the 70's. Were they both maple or rosewood necks?

Fender switched the P Bass neck profile to a B neck in the early part of the 70's (around '72?), and didn't go back to the wider C profile again until the early 80's. Sharper fret edges can definitely be accounted for if you're referring to poor quality control of the 70's, or it may have been a case of fret spurring. But it might have been a special order, or an earlier (pre-72) or later (early 80's) P neck on a '79, or even a replacement, but technically the profiles should be the same from '76 - '79.

3. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    it was an all maple neck that felt like the fingerboard edges had been rolled like how new fenders feel.

4. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Rolled fretboard edges was a standard feature all the way through the 70s. Both of my 78s are like that. Sounds to me like the 79 you played was just a bum example.

5. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I've played a number of 70's P basses and the shape / QC is inconsistent

6. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    I thought the Precision C necks were phased out after 1966, not in the 70's.

7. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    That's been my experience as well.

The only thing consistant about 70's Fenders was that they were consistantly inconsistant. ;)

8. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Right, the C necks lasted through '67, and B's came out in '68.

Worst neck I ever came across was a '79 silver anniversary Strat, had the most jagged edged neck I've ever seen, horrible player.

But yes, rolled board edges was normal back then.
    Even the preEB Musicmans have very comfortable rolled-edge boards that feel better (and thinner) than todays necks.

9. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    Not according to "The Fender Bass: An Illustrated History" timeline on page 107. It says under the year 1972/73: "The Precision Bass neck dimension changed from the "C" 1-3/4-inch to the "B" 1-5/8-inch."

10. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    yeah the 79 i played was terrible. i thought maybe all 70's p's played like that. glad i had a chance to play the 76'. now i want a vintage. ;-(

11. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

Careful there, tiger. That's a very slippery (and expensive) slope you're treading upon.

Before long, your buddies will have you trying a pre-CBS axe and the next thing you know, you're selling plasma to fund a refinned 64 P........believe you me, I know this for a fact for I have done it.:p

12. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I believe the book is wrong...I've yet to hear of anyone procuring a C built between 69-73. And certainly no one over on the fender forum has come up with one either, we've had threads there about this era P (I have a 72) and everyone has mostly B's with a few A's sprinkled in.
    Unless that book it lumping Telecaster Bass neck profiles in with standard P's.