Last night was my first gig

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Nov 11, 2000.

1. as the subject says, last night was my first gig.

Our school was having its own "Battle of the Bands" and we decided to sign up for it.

For most of the band members (me included) it was our first gig. We all felt kinda weird when we played becuase we were the only band there with basic stuff needed for a gig. Like one band that we faced against their their bassist had a wariwck thumb 5 string with swr stack (compared to my crappy ibanez and my hartke combo), their lead guitarist had a full marshall stack and PRS Custom 22 (compared to my lead guitarists peavey amp and ibanez guitar), and their other guitarist had a Gibson Les Paul with marshall stack (compared our rythhm's crappy washburn and really small fender amp.

.....and that was just one of the bands we faced against....

since we were the youngest band, we had to open up. during our 10 min. set, we did a cover of Metallica's Enter Sandman and then we all did solos. Our lead guitarist did a full blown out solo that lasted about 2 min. long. Our drummer then kicked into his solo which lasted about 2 min.
    Just as I had turned on my overdrive and kicked into my solo the guy running the show unplugged us because "we were going over our time limit"

well other than my band and the band i mentioned above, there were about 5 or so other bands. we didnt win and we didnt know what place we finished in, but we did good. I got REALLY banged up in the mosh pit during another band's set, but it was awesome though.

well, theres the story of my first ever gig.
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrats on the first gig, and good luck on the many to come!

I remember my first one. LOL. We played a lock in at a church, I played a really crappy slap solo, thought I was really something back in those days.
  3. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Congrats!!! Sounds like it was a blast. Good luck with your future gigs.

RE that pesky time thing: Find out ahead of time how much time is allotted for your set and pre-plan it to fit. Then you guys stay in control.
  4. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    The gigs only get better my friend. For the most part, you'll have terrible ones all your life. Our first was in a pizza place.
  5. Remember, the gear is not everything, its what you DO with it that matters! For example, a friend of mine has (among his VERY expensive guitars) a crappy Hondo II Les Paul copy that you could sing through the PU's.. thats a trick for ya! So its not up to the gear its really up to you. A small word of wisdom from me is that long solos tend to be boring, but maybe thats just me. :)Good luck with the future gigs.
  6. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    My wife, who was my groupie before I married her, says "Congratulations on poppin' your cherry"!:D
  7. NiKo

May 2, 2000

Congrats for your first gig.
    You probably were a blast but I agree with Mesa Man
    when he said long solos could be boring, a 2 min solo
    is long, and you only have 10 min, I think is better
    to perform an other track than solos if you have less
    time; however this is only my opinion.
    Good luck for futur gigs.
    STAY HEAVY!!!!
    NiKo Raven.
  8. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Heed the wise one who said that gear isn't everything - Prince used to play a cheap hohner guitar... :oops:)

One tip for your next gig - don't overrun! :oops:) it's ALWAYS better to leave people wanting more than to a) piss off the organisers and b) risk the audience getting bored. IF people are left wanting more, they'll come and see you next time, if people are sick of the sight of your band by the end of the gig, they won't come near a building you're playing in...

I've seen some really well known bands end up with an audience thinking that were dick-heads because they over ran. One very well known bassist did double his alloted time at a NAMM show gig a couple of years ago. I haven't heard one person who says they thought it was cool, which is a real shame 'cos he's a great player...

9. Well jr,you did much better than I when I first played out.Back in high school I played guitar before I delved into the bass.The first band I joined played mostly what is considered "classic rock." I had just barely learned how to play bar chords when we played our first party.I had just bought a very crappy Gibson Sonex (Yecchh!!!)My amp was a Univox.It had three inputs and sometimes the other guitarist,the slacker bassist,and myself would practice through it.Our gigs went like this:Only half the band had any talent.The lead guitarist(he had his own combo amp)covered up for our sorry arses.We would butcher easy songs and we would extend already long songs,such as "Free Bird".We turned that classic into a 30 or 40 minute excrutiating mess.It's a wonder we didn't get the crap beat out of us for sucking so bad.
    There's no way we would've attempted Metallica.I'm just glad I don't have to see a video of the dumb old days.
  10. Dragen

Aug 31, 2000
    first gig..........haven't had one yet. But I'm doing my first in january; in front of a crowd of 300 people! My band were formed a few months ago and we played together for real first last week. I'm dead........(though I look forward to it, really!).....give me tips..please....
  11. If I had to do it all over,I would make sure I'd have a good time and that the crowd had a good time too.If it ain't fun,is it really worth it? My best advice,enjoy yourselves!!!
  12. Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    A belated congrats on your first gig.

Steve, great points there! By playing your allotted time and breaking down quickly, so the next band can setup, will also keep you on the good side with the other acts. Never screw any opportunity you have, even with other bands. You never know when they'll need someone to split shows with.
  13. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Congrats on your first gig -- hope you had fun, because that's what it's all about(assertions about the Hokey-Pokey notwithstanding, but that's another thread).

I'll take a slightly contrarian view on the gear thing. These guys are right, it's not just about the gear and you shouldn't worry too much about it. But gear is an element you need to pay some attention to -- there is nothing worse than fighting crappy tools when you're trying to get a job done.

Over time, as you and your band develop as players, you'll learn to use the tools you have to their best affect. And you'll learn along the way what to upgrade and replace -- playing out, talking with other musicians, listening to them play, trying out different stuff, getting the scratch together to buy new stuff, it's all part of the process.

So don't obsess about the gear -- it's not the whole equation. But it is something that deserves some of your notice and care.

Good luck and have fun.