1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Last night's backline.......not impressed.......

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DWBass, Oct 13, 2019.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Ok, had a gig, last night, at a well known venue in Richmond, VA. This was my backline.
    [​IMG]
    I thought Aguilar was supposed to be the bees knees! Nope. This rig had zero booty and something was buzzing. Couldn't tell if it was a speaker or cab bracing. I had to ask the soundman to add my bass in my monitor. Could barely hear anything below low E. SMH. I had my rig in the car I should have used it. Could have been the stage. Soundman mentioned a lot of bass players complain about the rig.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  2. BlacknWhite

BlacknWhite Supporting Member

Never used any Aguilar gear.. Always find it amusing though when they never let you use your gear even when there's sounds like garbage or is not even loud enough to provide proper stage volume. This has happened to me many times at backline supported gigs. Even when I offer it up to support all bands on the bill.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    If your hear something, say something. Duh!

They should At least put a wedge under the cab to disconnect it from the stage and tilt it back so you could here it better.

Iristone, DJ Bebop and eriky4003 like this.
  4. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Wow, I had a DB 751 with matching 810 cab a few weeks ago for backline and it was tremendous. Deep booty bass, but articulate and loud as all @#$%. Something was definitely wrong with that rig.

5. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

That setup shouldn’t sound bad.
    It’s probably been abused and is damaged in some way

6. DWBass

I had the gain at noon, master volume at noon, bass at 2 o'clock, treble at 2 o'clock, both mids at noon (I never boost mids...). I could hear the bass well enough to get through the gig but it was just lacking that booty on stage and anything below low E basically was almost non existent. The venue had all the mains flown above the stage and had subs underneath the stage. Again, it may be the stage but I usually experience the opposite. Usually a lot of boom and I have to dial it back. Dunno.........just weird.

On another note, this place was run exceptionally well. We were greeted by the manager and given the rundown. They had a 'green room' prepared for us with a menu. We chose what we wanted to eat. They brought it to us. There were snacks, water, soda, energy drinks. Crowd was kinda subdued though but applauded nicely after each tune. Toward the end we had a few of them up and dancing. Nice standing applause when we finished up. BL took pics with patrons. We all packed up and headed home. 1hr,15min drive. Not bad.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  7. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Relative knob position is almost meaningless when moving from amp to amp; it's best to dial in each amp individually. The gain staging on the Tone Hammers is also somewhat non-intuitive. Also sounds like the amp or speaker (more likely) was damaged.

8. DWBass

Probably. I didn't want to mess with the amp settings much. I agree it may have been the cab because even standing right next to the cab, it seemed to be lacking. I could hear it well enough so I just dealt with it.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  9. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Yeah, that should have been very capable of making decent low end for you.

I loved it when I heard “ we are providing a custom-made in our shop bass rig with a tube head and custom-made 212 can that will blow your socks off”...

It did no such thing. And the words “custom-” should have been “home-“...

After 1 song, I just turned it off and asked for a little bass in the side fills.

10. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    How did it sound at sound check...if you had one?

Faulty equipment....unfortunate it was broken

DJ Bebop likes this.
  11. I have played through a similar Aguilar back line and was unable to get a sound I liked. I am hesitant to blame the gear as lots of people love Aguilar and it is apparently great stuff, it's more a case of me just not being familiar enough with the settings to dial it in as I like in the 12 minutes we had to set up after the previous band. Luckily, my DI was from the SCR-DI on my pedal board, so it sounded more like an Ampeg to FOH...

DJ Bebop likes this.
  12. DWBass

Same as during the gig. Lackluster. Just no booty. I just dealt with it. Are the Aguilar amps that much different from other amps? I set every amp the same way and there is plenty of solid bottom. Could have been the cab. Could have been the stage. I don't know.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  13. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Could have been the speaker cable

check your instrument cable

wheelsup247 likes this.
  14. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Maybe it was out of phase with the subs?

15. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    I refuse backline gear all the time. We actually have that in our contract that we will not be obligated to use any backline gear.

Dunyet, imabuddha, dabis and 9 others like this.
  16. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    The Tone Hammers are somewhat different than most amps in that the tone significantly changes as you dial up the gain and drive; adjusting the input gain, drive, and master volume controls doesn't provide a normal, flat, input/output gain adjustment. On the Tone Hammers, those knobs act as highly interactive tone controls. So, that means it is not very WYSIWYG and the results may differ considerably when compared with other amps set approximately the same way. Not saying that this was the issue at the gig, but definitely something to consider for next time.

17. five7

five7 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Denver
    I owned that exact setup. Plenty of booty! Something is wrong with the one you used.

18. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    That rig should have sounded fantastic.

punchclock, DJ Bebop, scuzzy and 4 others like this.
  19. ihaveaquestion

ihaveaquestion

Jan 9, 2018
    [​IMG]

20. as mentioned above, yes, their control knobs (eq, gain, drive, and master) are not intuitive and work in relation to each other much different than other amps do. Do a little research on these amps and you’ll find most people say there’s a learning curve to get around. It honestly is a poor choice of amp head for a back line rig where many bassists will use it without being familiar with it. This is probably why it’s not working right, too many bassists have probably miss used it and damaged it. I have a TH500 and would never have my gain OR master at noon, cause that would nearly blow my cab. My master is usually around 9oclock and gain a little less than that with my 4ohm 700watt cab.

I’m guessing that rig has been abused and isn’t working right. Just setting everything at noon (not gain or master, bring those up slowly from 0) should have gotten plenty enough lows.

A lot of people recommend turning the gain to 0 and the master up high on these amps, then use the gain knob as your volume knob.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019