last nights gig from hell

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Oct 19, 2002.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Well, last night we had a gig at a local bar, with about a 300 or so capacity. Last night was a FM104 rock night, a big party night that a radio station promotes, lots of fun stuff, games, wet t-shirt contests, all kinds of cool stuff. I had attended a couple of these rock nights before, and they always got a great crowd, but they had never had one at the place before last night, so nobody knew what to expect. There were a total of 3 bands booked for last night, a local cover band, my band, and an all female kiss tribute band, we were to play in that order, with the kiss band to go on at 1 am, when 104 packs up and goes home. I got there early to survey the gear on hand, as we were offered the use of the first bands gear. After looking things over, we decided we would be a lot better off to use all of our own stuff. Around 9:00, I started getting a bit worried about things, they had already reached near capacity crowd. This place is small, with no backstage at all, so we set all of our gear on the side of the dance floor while the first band was playing. People kept coming, and a coming in....things were getting rediculous. By the end of the first bands set, they had a least 600-700 crammed into this place. Watched a drunk spill most of a draft beer on my guitarists pedal board, the stuff was getting beat on. We got up to do our set around 11:15, things were pretty much unbearable in the place, a small fight broke out in the near corner, but security got it broken up pretty quick. While we were doing our set, 3 different girls were up front flashing their goods, which we all enjoyed of course, but it sure didn't do much for our concentration lol. Felt kinda bummed about things, our set was about 50% originals, and 50% cover tunes. When we played an original, people would just kinda stand there, I am sure it was just due to the unfamiliarity to the songs, but it still made us feel kinda bad. So we resorted to playing covers to close out the set, cutting 3 originals off the list. When we played kid rock, linkin park, limp bizkit, and other covers, the place was going nuts.....felt like a big shot at a big rock concert, talk about fun. After we closed our set, is when all hell started breaking loose. They had a kiddy pool RIGHT in front of the stage for the wet t-shirt contest, and of course that meant there were hundreds of people cramming up there to see the action. So here we have a huge human baracade in front of us, and a sound guy and bar owner rushing us to get our stuff down so the kiss chicks can get up there, they thought they were the real kiss from they way they acted, and treated us. These girls were total jerks! They didn't watch a single minute of the other 2 bands sets, they stayed back in the kitchen area, to make it look like they are big or something. They acted too good to talk to anyone else also. Well, while we are pretty much stuck on the stage getting yelled at to get off of there, the kiss chicks were piling stuff up making it even harder for us to get our stuff out, even though several people told them to wait. As I was packing up my bass rig, I was stopped by the kiss wannabe's manager or something, and was told I was supposed to leave my rig for the girls to use!!! I simply told them no way. It's a $2000 rig, and I'm not going to consider loaning it to anyone, especially someone I don't know. So after about 10 people bickering, bitching, whining, and complaining, they finally gave up on my rig, and used the opening bands WM-15. The rest of my band didn't want to loan their stuff either, but didn't have the backbone to stick by their guns like I did, so we all had to stay through their set till 2:45 am to get our stuff down. After I got loaded up and back to my bands table, my girlfriend, and drummers wife told us a couple differnt guys have been there hitting on them, and getting touchy. My brother did get them to go away peacfully somehow, so I am glad about that, but still not happy about the persistence and the touching. I tried to leave early, but I was parked in by a bunch of uncourteous people, so I just went back inside. Watched the whole set of the kiss chicks, and it was absolutely horrible. They had some pretty good outfits and makeup, but the musicianship was worse than some guys I have heard that picked up their instruments and started playing 2 or 3 weeks before. They got their set done, and did anyone get a thank you for the use of the gear? NO Did they offer to help tear down? NO, they went and sat at the bar feeling like rock stars. They did manage to steal the cable connecting the head to the cabinet on my buddies guitar amp though. I made a big enough stink about it until it found its way back, guess who took it? By this time, the whole band had left except me and the drummer, so we were tearing things down and loading it all up ourselves. On my 2nd or 3rd trip out carrying a $1700 Marshall TSL 100 head, I get hit from behind and come real close to spilling the amp. One girl that was following behind me apparently got pushed by another girl, knocking her into me. Well, it was time for royal rumble. I'd guess about 8-10 people were out there duking it out, and I am out there by my van watching my interests to make sure nothing gets broken or stolen. Saw a girl get the side of her face get run into the road a couple times, it got ugly. While this was going on, some loser picked up a bottle of prescription pills that fell out of one of the fighters purse, and stole them without even knowing what they were. I finally get home about 4 am after unloading, and my girlfriend is totally pissed about the wet t-shirt contest, (which I totally missed due to the fact of trying to get my gear out in the middle of a sea of people and bull****) she said it was disgusting. A couple of the girls got totally naked down to nothing I was told, and she wasn't too happy about it....I wasn't too happy about missing it. All of this, and were not even sure what were getting paid for this gig, it should be a big check due to all the mess. If we ever do this kind of gig again, we will be the only band, and we are going to demand better security, that was no fun.....was close to being total chaos.
  2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Too bad you couldn't have just stayed home and rented the video instead of having to star in it.

It may have been fun from a distance. But crowded, drunk/rude people can take even a moments fun out of a fun/work situation. good thing your rig wasn't messed with. If you love your stuff, you gotta defend it.

There will be better shows though.
  3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Your experience brings back fond and not so fond memories of some gigs from hell I played in. Thanks for the walk down memory lane.
  4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    send this thing down my forum, Mods
  5. :rolleyes:... sounds like one of my bands typical metal shows.... except we dont get the flashers :(

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Hopefully, you'll look back and laugh about this in a couple of years. I'd certainly have had a few words with the Kiss girls, though. I can hold my tongue with bar managers when I need to (certainly don't want to burn any bridges for gigs unless I have to), but I certainly would have lit into those...ladies without a second thought.
  7. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Sounds like a typical biker-type gig for my classic rock band...except for the lack of security. Usually, the band gets treated like royalty while everybody else goes beserk.

Those folks are SO much fun!
  8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...actually, it's up! :D

Your wish is granted, Señor Castelo.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    So what was the problem?
  10. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    AH a female Kiss cover band.... And you thought it couldn't get any worse than the real thing :D (just kidding fellas)

We all know the only reason you are pissed off is the fact that you didn't get to see the wet t-shirt competition..
  11. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    The thing about the KISS band being stuck up is kind of funny -- about a year ago, I saw a KISS tribute band (I have never been a KISS fan, but there wasn't much else to do that night, so we checked out this tribute band. I had a blast!) and after the show, "Ace" and "Peter" all but disappeared, "Gene" was pretty cool but "Paul" was an absolute, arrogant a**h**e! I understand that these bands can get pretty well-known, but come on -- YOU ARE NOT THE REAL KISS! Get over yourselves!

Sorry you had a bum night, ANDbassist.
  12. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Man, I hope your guitarist pedal board is alright. (even if it worked good that night, it's possible for it to take a while to short out)

I hate having irresponsible people around equipment.

13. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    has anyone every seen 1964 the tribute band??? They are a beatles tribute band.These cats are wierd.. "john" really thinks he is John.. and while these guys were amazing and it was almost like hearing a recording.. I don't understand why these guys think they are so great... ITS NOT YOUR MUSIC..
  14. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Paragraphs, dude. Paragraphs.
  15. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    lol wondering the same lol

didn't read because of it... head hurts