Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Last piece of gear......for now

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Moma Jones, Nov 8, 2005.

1. OK so I just switched to a pre-amp power-amp setup. I'm running peavey 5 string cirrus in to an A.R.T. tube channel mic preamp with a compressor and 4 band semi parametric eq into a 1400 watt (700 a side) power amp into a mesa powerhouse (4x10 + 1x15) cabinet. me issue is that I can either A only use one side of the amp into the 4 ohm cabinet wasting the other half or I can passively bi amp it running each side of the amp at 8 ohms therefore not running at full power, so what I need is a suggestion for a good INEXPENSIVE cabinet that would compliment my rig with out conflicting with the mesa. the easy answer would get another mesa unfortunately according to the music store I can't get one ordered or something like that so what is available in Ontario Canada....
    I was hoping in the $1000 Can. range

2. Erm, maybe I'm not understanding your post very well...
    But can't your bridge your power amp to give 1400W @ 4 ohms?

And if not - why get ANOTHER cab to lug around? That powerhouse must do you in pretty bad! Get a new poweramp that can bridged! :cool:

3. tha amp bridges @ 8 ohm min load and the cab is 4 ohms...I blew the amp up first day doing this.. thankfully i just took it back and said it didnt work. :bag: :bag:

4. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I'm confused, the cabs you got are 4 ohms or 8 ohms? I'd suggest a Big Block 750, or Bass 400+ that can be found on ebay all the time for under $1000.

5. sounds fishy!
    if i was you, and wanted to stay with the pre/power set up, with your current preamp, I'd go for a new poweramp that can be bridged at 4 ohm min load, such as a Crown or QSC. try a search for "which poweramp for me".

Of course, with $1k, there are plenty of options. I seriously doubt you need an extra cab - unless you're unhappy with it!

6. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    check your PM

7. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    For $1k you could easily pick up a used plx 3002 or 3402 and be set :hyper:

8. I agree with others... sounds like what you need is a new power amp. If weight is not an issue, I would suggest a CA-9 (Crest Audio)... 2,000 watts bridged at 4ohms... in a 47 lbs package. I have been using QSC PLX3002s for many years and they have been very good to me. However, I find the Crest have a bit more oomph to them. The PLX are nice and light and have taken a significant price drop. Where are you in Ontario? I'm in Ottawa and have good contacts in music stores. I could check if any of them can get you another cab too.

Rocky

9. Ok well i appreciate the input but i think i would get more bang for my buck getting another cabinet as far as volume goes....

10. Where are you located in Ontario? I just spoke to Long & McQuade in Ottawa and they can order a new one. List is $2,125, so you could figure 20-30% off that. Also, they just got a used one in a trade a couple weeks ago. They said it was in great shape, but might the the older generation with the black metal grill. Price: $899... canadian!!!

They would need a couple weeks to prep it, finish police check, etc.

Let me know if you need more info.

Rocky

11. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Where are you playing that would require you to have three cabs? :eek:

A 4x10 and a 1x15 should cover any gig...

any gig...

especially quality cabs like M/B

If you need more, I recommend saving up and getting a pair of Mesa 2x15's and then set a couple 8x10's ontop

There's a slim chance you would need a new poweramp for this setup

There is a high chance that I would be able to hear you practicing 'at low volume' -with this setup- down here in WV

Tom-Foolery aside...

I'm still curious as to why you would want another cab instead of a new poweramp....your current setup should be able to pump enough for most any situation.

12. You would get more volume if you had a power amp running @ 4 ohm... ATM your mesa cab won't be at full throttle.

Just my opinion. Seems a bit crazy to have a 4x10+15 and THEN some! Of course, as long as *I* didn't have to carry it all, I wouldn't mind! :p

Whats the mesa cab running at? Always thought those bad boys were 800W...

13. its a combined 4x10+15, i believe.

14. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Ohhh wait.

You have the powerhouse 1000 don't you?

I kinda missread what you wrote and thought you had their 4x10 and a 15.

ummmm....buy their 4x12....

I have no useful suggestions to your problem.