Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Last question, I promise! (PLEASE READ)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by count_funkula, Mar 24, 2001.

1. Ok, this is the last question.

I think I want to just want to buy a combo. I need something with plenty of power and enough definition to cut through the mix. I want this to be the last rig I ever have to buy. (Read "versatile").

I play in a large sanctuary and it is very easy to saturate the place with nothing but low end if your not careful (again, I need definition). The Combo will mainly be used as a stage monitor so I will need a direct out to run through the PA.

I don't care about speaker size as long as I can dial in enough highs and mids to be heard and not just felt. I have about $1000 to spend. HELP ME!!!!!!

Anyone played through the Ampeg B15R?

I am tired of trying to figure out what head to mix with what Cabinet.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's sounding like a good used Eden Metro or SWR Super Redhead.

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Metros are good.

4. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    The Carvin RC210 Combo is versatile. I have one. You should do a search for "RC210" in TalkBass - there has been a lot of discussion on it - even within the past week. Depending on your particular needs, it might be the right rig for you - and you can add an extension cabinet later for a bigger sound.

While the R600 head in the combo is nice, the R1000 puts out significantly more power, and is not that much more expensive. I wonder if Carvin would be willing to substitute the R1000 in the combo for some extra $. That would give you a great set up with lots of power (but I'd recommend only using one channel - and not drive it into clipping - to drive the 2x10 speaker).

The combo is nice, too, because of its tilt-back design: really a good "monitor" for you. The new Series III heads appear to have a level control on their DI output, so I suspect this might be a good choice for you.

- Mike

5. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    The Carvin is OK, but not the last amp you'll ever buy. Cough up the extra bucks now and save yourself the cost of the Carvin in the future (when you replace it with a Metro or Redhead).

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    another vote for the metro. if had to get a combo amp, that'd be it.

7. I should have played a 2x10 when I was at the music store last night. They come highly recommended but they just don't seem like they would have much low end.

It's kind of a catch 22. It seems like 2x10 would not have enough lows but a 1x15 would not have enough response and definition.

8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    With the way technology is today its possible for 10s to get plenty of lows. And its also possible for 15s to have good response and definition. Go play one of the above mentioned amps and you'll hear some good 2x10 cabs at work.

9. look into a SWR silverado...350w 2x12 combo w\all the features you NEED.a nice compromise between 10's and 15's,punch and clarity of 10's and the air movement and volume of 15's that will produce real low's...kinda pricey....but you said you wanted it to be the last one you'll ever have to buy...look at SWR's website for all the details....happy shopping

10. try a mesa buster bass wedge 2x10, great power, fairly portable, all tube 200w power, great sound., looks like a monitor, ive got one for sale......and ive also got a 1x15 buster w/horn i might let go....both new. i will sell only one of them.......

11. Count, you said this will be the last amp you will ever buy. Well I hate to be the one to tell you this but you have been exposed to two of the most contagious GAS carriers in TalkBass. Not to mention any names (JT, Munj.) but the only way to get any relief from this dreaded disease is to buy more gear!! Anyway I don't think you would go wrong with any of the amps already mentioned. Good luck.

12. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    More gear. You have no chance to survive make your time. Somebody set up us the bomb. All your base are belong to us. More gear. More gear.

13. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Move all zig for great justice. Move zig move zig move zig.

14. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    cast a vote here for the Carvin Cyclops. From what ive heard and read about them they are great amps.

a 15' and 2x8's that should help you be heard and felt.

15. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I have a Cyclops and it is all that I need. If I was to have just one amp, I would get the redeye instead (that's the tiltback 2x10 combo).

The Redeye is a awesome amp and it's only $770 which is a steal for a 600w / 2x10 amp.

Since you have a bit more than $770... look into getting the 1x18 that goes with the combo. Use the 2x10 by itself in most small - medium gigs... when you need a bit o boom... tack on the 1x18.

Good luck.