Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Last recording of my band, Dead Hand System

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    My band, Dead Hand System, is now officially over. We tried to carry on creating music over the internet, even though we all live in different states now. We just posted our final song on our website, www.deadhandsystem.com. The song is called Terminal Shock, and it was completely written, arranged, and recorded over the internet (along with Trinity). Please check it out and tell me how much I suck.

Dead Hand System Sound Page

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    You SUCK....
    ...very little, in fact, you don't suck at all. That was one of the coolest things I've heard in a long time! I'm going to go home and listen to it on a good system. :bassist:

edit: if that's the type of music you guys can do over the net it blows that your calling it a day. :(

3. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Ok smartass...

:p

Give us all the details... Cause I wanem, and I know you are dieing to givem... :smug:

Alex

4. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Haha! :D Yes, I am a smartass.

Well, ok. All the bass parts were double tracked, using the DI's on the BassTriaxis and the Buster! simultaneously. For the main part, the Buster has a Lovetone Doppleganger phaser on it, and the Triaxis has a very deep tone with no treble or mids in the signal; all lows. During the heavy parts, the Buster was cranked but with no pedals; the Triaxis had a heavy distortion setting and had a ZVex Machine and Wooly Mammoth run in front of it. Judicious use of the whammy bar was used during the first section. Heehee!

I'm not telling how I got the stretchy, garbled, slide guitar sounding part at the end (I will admit it was a guitar. Hell, I'll even admit that I played all the guitar on this. Yes, guitar! :bag: ) .

I really like this song. I wish Dead Hand could have continued, but how can a band get anywhere when you can't even gig?

5. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I don't know, make a CD and have it shopped by some sketchy biz type? Too bad though.

6. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Well, we did some recording at Nothing Studios (half of the band worked for NIN as programmers and engineers and such). You'd think if you've got a guy like Trent Reznor on your side, that would help, but not really.

7. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I'm surprised, I'd think your stuff would inspire him to be more involved.

8. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I can think of tones of bands that do not tour, or gig... Hell I used to be in one, and my cd hit #41 on the canadian ear shot charts... But to each his own... So you recoded at nothing eh?.. LA or Cajin country?..

Alex

9. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Trent doesn't get inspired by much lately. He's a pretty unhappy camper.

And yes, that's in New Orleans. Mmm,mmm... po boys...

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    First of all let me say that I looOooOoOoOove over doing it on effects... and so do you! :D

Good luck finding another band that is as open minded to making great experimental music. It's rare, let me tell ya. :( Cool track though.