Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Last Saturday, tragedy to triumph

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by form52, Nov 1, 2005.

1. form52

form52

Mar 17, 2005
    Ok .. so... Last Saturday was pretty interesting.

First, I arrive at my drummers place to help pack up the drums and P.A. and as soon as we start gathering chords his phone rings.
    Our singer is at the venue and informs us that the owner canceled us and let one of his friends cover bands play instead.

We had the show booked a month and a half ago and had a show contract signed and noterized. He said it was a mistake.. he'll make it up to us, blah blah bulls***. He said he had them booked first and didn't realize it when he booked us that same night.
    Wich is a lie, we saw his calander that he writes down bands and nights on.. they were nowhere on the thing, but our name was sure up there still.
    What happened was he had a lot of people (this is coming from the bartender who is a good friend of ours) come in over that past week saying how much they were looking forward to the show Saturday. He took advantage of the fact that he knew there was going to be a lot of people showing up and had his buddies band come in to play and purposely waited until we showed up to tell us. That way it was too late to let people planning on coming that there was no show. He ****ed us to steal our crowd.

Now...

We spent the next two hours on the phone with every bar/club/lounge in the city... And???? we got another venue booked for that night!!!! So we finish (realy quickly) packing everything and haul @$$. On the way we got on the phone with the other bands that were playing to let them know of the venue switch, then I begged my way on-air on the most popular rock station in Central FL and the DJ allowed us to explain, On-Air!!, what was going down and we needed an even larger crowd to show up just to rub it in his face.
    We stopped off at Kinko's along the way and made up HUGE signs that we put all up and down the road to the other venue telling the new venue and not to go the the other place.

It worked.. we managed to pull it off and wound up getting over 500 people out. Now we're taking the other owner to small claims court for the $3000 we Could have made had he honored the contract. So we're really actually kinda thankful for the guy being an ass. Now we're getting payed TWICE for Saturday!!!! HAHAHAAAAAAA moron. And we turned him in for underage drinking. His son and his friends (all in high school) are in there constantly, almost every night, drinking.
    It may be a bit harsh, but we really want to drive the point home that we can screw him WAY more than he did us that night.

2. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    Please pound on the hate for all the other bad club owners/booking agents out there. If more of this kind of stuff happened to back-stabbing owners, it might just be a better world to play in.

But of course we musicians have our share of freaks and flakes out there as well, now don't we???

:)

3. I cant' believe he tried to back out after you guys had a signed contract. Most club owners aren't _that_ dumb, I'd hope. Good for you for taking action, and not just getting trampled on...also good one on using small claims court.

4. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Another win for the good guys! Right on!! :D

Fast thinking too about the posters and radio station!

5. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Riff-finder General Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    Correction-he was 1337133 PWN3d.

6. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Form52, if you don't mind, can you PM me the names of the clubs? A guy I'm representing is about to start playing out and I want to make sure he doesn't get hosed. If there's legal ramifications involved, that's cool if you can't tell me, but if you can, I would like to make sure my client doesn't get a hose job.

BTW, congratulations on turning the tables on the jerks!

8. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    You guys are my new heroes for the day (maybe week. depends on my gig tomorrow). Way to stick it to that deuche.

9. Shearstown

Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
    Way to go. Looks like he'll regret that.

10. callofthebow

callofthebow

Oct 19, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    awesome dude, i live in orlando. My band plays alot of shows downtown and in the ucf area, and we run into crap all the time, nothing like this though. What was the name of the bar? just pm it to me if you don't feel like saying it publicly

11. Awesome story. I love justice.

12. Correction: The club owner got 1337133 B455157 PWN3D