1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Last Straw! I am never going to buy from Guitar Center again.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stewie26, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

I have been a loyal customer of GC for the past 25 years. Last night I purchased a Yamaha Motif XF6 keyboard work station for $2250 which they did not have in stock. It has to ship from their Kansas warehouse. I paid extra for overnight shipping direct to my house. I just called GC to get a tracking number and it turns out they shipped it today economy ground. I was planning on jamming with it with my buddies next Tuesday but that is not going to happen now. I called the manager of the store and he said there is nothing they could do about it except give me a refund on the extra shipping cost. Anyway, they have lost a customer for life. Rant over.

2. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Seems like an honest mistake to me. You're getting the gear and a shipping refund.

3. Stewie26

Over the past few years, almost every transaction I have had with GC has had some type of "honest mistake" go wrong with the transaction. In the past I have just shrugged my shoulders and let it roll off. At some point you have to draw a line in the sand and say no more. There are plenty of other music vendors willing to take my money and I think it is time to cut loose from GC. Just sayin.

4. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Well that sounds like a history of bad service, your initial post only mentioned one. Yeah, my GC sucks. Unfortunately my only other options are stores that carry very few basses.

Stewie26 likes this.
  5. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    I know what you mean.
    Sometimes you just gotta say "enough is enough"
    Sweetwater?

Stewie26 likes this.
  6. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Never had any trouble with GC transactions, but I've only ordered a couple times. Other than that, all my in store purchases went off like clockwork, including a few returns.

I usually go mail order if I can't get it local to avoid the bogus sales tax GC charges to ship stuff in.

7. Stewie26

It has only been in the past few years that I have had a problem. When I was leaving the store last night I rechecked my receipt and noticed that it said Economy Ground shipping mode. I immediately went back to the salesman and he said he made a mistake and would fix it. He tried to reenter in the computer and it would not take. So he called the processing center and told the person on the phone line to change the shipping mode. Then he hung up said problem solved. I had him hand write on the receipt "overnight shipping" and sign his name. Thinking back on it now he might have been faking the call to the processing center as he seemed to fix it in just 30 seconds or so. Just seems like the competency of GC staff is not what it use to be.

Gabbs likes this.
  8. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    yeah they pretty much suck, havent been in one in quite awhile. Last thing I bought there was a speakon cable I know I over paid for. Needed one in a pinch and didnt have time to look elsewhere.

Stewie26 likes this.
  9. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Dude, for $2250 they should assign your order to an "executive team" to make sure the customer gets what they asked and paid for.

It's not like buying an Affinity on Labor Day weekend for $99 or something.

baceface and Stewie26 like this.
  10. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

I realize it a PITA to drive up to Hollywood, but you should have checked with the Sam Ash on Sunset. It's a drag that West LA Music is gone, a true pro shop, they had everything! I was looking at mixers one day(well over 15 years ago), turned around, and there was Stevie Wonder and entourage on a shopping spree.

11. Stewie26

We have a Sam Ash that is even closer to my house than GC. Next time I need to make a purchase I will got there and see how I am treated. I am in the process of re-outfitting and updating my project studio so I will be purchasing a lot in the next few months. My other problem is I have a lot of 12 to 15 year old recording gear and it is too good to throw away but too old to go thru the hassle of selling it on CL for pennies on the dollar. But I guess that is a complete different topic.
    In fact maybe I should post in recording section of TB asking suggestions on what to do with it.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  12. Michedelic

Where is one in the South Bay? It's been years since I've been in the area. I know the GC near Hawthorne Blvd, and the one in Fountain Valley near the 405 onramp, plus the SA on Beach Blvd. The H'wood Ash is pretty good, right across the street from the flagship GC. I would think that Sam Ash would encourage their staff to up their customer service game with all the bad press GC has been getting lately.

13. Michedelic

Beyond all that, Sweetwater is now my go-to if I'm not in a hurry. Impressive service.

Goatrope and DinoRock like this.
  14. Stewie26

On Hawthorne Blvd, just south of 190th street.
    Sam Ash Music Stores | 19800 Hawthorne Blvd, Torrance, CA | Guitar Store and Musical Instrument Repair.

15. Stewie26

I have heard good things about sweetwater here on TB. I was trading in a 23 year old Yamaha keyboard so I had to take it to store to get appraised. But if I just need cables or something small perhaps this is the way to go.