last straw

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Stingray, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Stingray

May 12, 2000
    ok im completely fed up in every way

1st of i know this i can change but i own a behringer 1602A the old one without the mid control
    and its sounds like crapp. i was thinking about replacing it with a new soundcraft spirit e-series does anyone know about this new line from soundcraft either that or an alesis studio mixer(dont know much about those either).

now for my second peeve i own two amps for recording/practicing and they both have a horrible hiss haugh sound (haugh like when open your mouth real wide and breath out to make fog ya know) the guitar amp is a 30 watt behringer ultraroc gx110 and my bass amp is a laney bc-120. ive used these amps in several environments outside of my own bedroom with the same effect. this sound would b fine to me except it destroys any attempt at making recording on my sonar based recording computer. it just gets in the way and brive me up the wall.

i use an sm-57 with an audio technica 3525 and sometimes but not often a samson co1(not a bad mike if i say so my self). and i know these mikes are good because alot of people use them. so it can be all there fault. and in place i us a pg-52 on my bass amp while still usin the 3525 as an ambient mike

correct me if im wrong but when i turn up the gain on my mixer i shouldn't here the same haugh sound (even hen not miking an amp) where is this darn sound coming from when its not my amp.

someone explain to me whats going on im about to give up on the whole recording game but i like the idea so much and i find it fun o mess with even in these awful condition. please help me tell m every possibility and try and help me build a new "studio" for my self that i can achieve a good quality sound.
    please help me
  2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    uh ... buy a preamp and go direct. A used BBE 383 would do the trick. Flexible and quiet but not exotci and so ... can be had for low dough. I paid about $100 for mine and it get's condsiderable use. I don't know the Sampson or the AT mic you mentioned but an SM 57 really isn't suitable for mic'ing a bass cab. They do well for guitar cab's, tom's, snares' even vocals or or an overhead in a pinch but not bass or bass drum.

My typical tracking rig is a pre-amp (I have a couple including the BBE) into the board, line out of the board to an amp into a cab. I mic the cab from 1 to 3 feet away depending and I play at *moderate* volume. Enough to tickle the mic, not enough to distort it. I have a couple of mic's to pick from but I am having good results with an Oktava 319/Bellari tube pre that I picked up at GC for $150.

I save both tracks and mix from there. I'd start with the pre and then go after a mic / pre combination later. Hope that helps