1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

last weeks show

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by mothmonsterman, Apr 5, 2006.

1. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    it was party show and we where all liqured up. there where 2 other bands there, both where death metal where the guitarists had gigantic rigs and drowned the poor bassits with a 50$ out, not to mention the drummer. but thats not the point. i went up to the two bassists after the show and i was just shooting the **** and i found out that both of them had only played bass for a few months. that would explain their playing but they actually played guitar for 5 and 7 years prior to bass. the point being is they spent the hole night explaining to me how to play bass and how to set my eq and what effects to use. Now i've only played bass for 7 years but i feel i'm fairly proficient at using my equipment, and my technique. here's a direct quote "you don't understand, in metal as long as you play open E's your straight":eek: ......*sigh*. here's another one "why don't you crank your amp more it'll sound better, mine are all max out and it sounds sweet":scowl: .......mind you i own a B4R and if i cranked it the house would fall down. last one "you should play with a pick, you'd beable to play faster":spit: . i play with my fingers so i have more than one measely pick 3 at the moment.

has something like this ever happened to anyone else?

2. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    LOL.... On the play the open E's part...i saw a kid do this a week or two ago he slaped the open e all night ala fieldy just made a wumpa wumpa sound just like a big bass drum...i also see bands do this on 5's with the big b and on occation fret a note or two on it...fieldy school of bass.:D

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

No

4. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I'm curious why you stayed and listened to them talk.
    Sometimes I really hate talking to musicians.

5. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Having someone musically ignorant telling you how to make music? All the time!!!!!!!

Welcome to the music biz!!!!!!

6. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    drunk people who feel they have something to say, tend to follow you around.

7. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Whenever some drunk is blabbing on, I just introduce them to my guitarist. Or better yet, introduce them to a gellow drunk. Once they start talking, you make a quick exit.
    Works every time.

8. Ha ha... I did that a few weeks ago. Couple a drunks ambushed me after our sound check and started giving me setlist advice. They had just wandered into the bar and were already drunk at 6pm on St Patty's day and were astonished to learn that we (a tribute band) were only playing songs originally written and performed by one band.

"yeah," said I. "That is the point of a tribute band."

It fell on deaf ears as she explained how that was a bad business plan and how we should be playing more Megadeth or something. So.. I introduced her to our frontman/rhythm guitarist and took off.

Came back a few minutes later and she was still chewing on him as he patiently reasoned with her. Somehow as I was laughing at the situation, she got passed off back to me. :eek: She remained unconvinced, and we wasted way too much time talking to her out of amusement and politeness. :help: