1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

lastest off the bench

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HeathW, May 6, 2006.

1. here's the latest off the bench.
    5 string standard tuning B-G
    flame maple body, flame maple and mohogany neck, burl redwood top and a IRW fretboard. pickups wound by A.Armstrong custom wound, hipshot A bridge
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    as norm the pics don't do it justice as I'm pony at photo's. the top wood is stunning

2. wow thats a beaut!
    how does it sound with that combination of woods? I've never heard of a burl redwood top? Is that rare or am I ignorant?

3. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    WOW!
    I can't imagine how rich that wood looks in person! The pictures still make it look gorgeous!!
    Nice job!

Jon

4. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Whew, thats hot! I really like how that gold hardware looks on that. Very classy.

5. Thanks, I am pleased with how it came out.
    you can get hold of redwood burl but it's not as common as curly redwood and the like, some of the old growth redwood is stunning.
    It sounds quite bright but I had the pickups wired that way as well. it's got a nice bit of attack but roll off the mid and treble abit add a tad of bass and it booms with a little bit of growl, I'm pleased with the sound.
    here's a better pic of the top before final polish and all the hardware going on, it is a little darker in real life but you can see the grain patten well.
    [​IMG]
    Here's the next one coming up, it's still got to have one more darker burst on it then 20 more coats of poly and lots of sanding back and polishing, flame maple neck with black pin stripes, curly maple body and burr maple top, going to be finished with chromed ali hardware, should look cool.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. As these shapes are new to me and first drafts as it was, I would love some HONEST feed back on what anybody thinks, I do have two more new shapes on the go one a fender jag type shape and a single cut, will post pic when I have some body shapes in wood to show.
    thanks you for any help you give!
    and thank you to those who have posted, it nice to be encouraged after putting in sooooo many hours on them.
    Heath

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Love it :)

8. Gorgeous..

9. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Gold Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    I really like the first shape, reminds me of a Ritter, but several differences in shape set it apart. The second one doesn't do a thing for me - looks like someone bent the horns on it. Just my $0.0000002!

Love the wood in the first one, too.

Dan K.

10. superbe:bassist:

11. I agree, the gold hardware just makes that bass. Gorgeous!

12. thank you for all your replys. I hope to get on the forum abit more often as it's great here, as said i'll post some update pics as and when I got um if any one's interested.
    thanks again
    Heath