Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

lasting impressions of the heir

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by tuBass, Feb 12, 2003.

1. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Hi Michael,
    I was wondering what your current thoughts are on the MTD heir. Right now I have a yamaha bbg5s that has noisy electronics, and I was thinking I might be better off getting a bass with no active electronics at all, and using my Fishman DI and it's 5 band EQ to shape the sound to my liking. I love the MM stingray sound, but I just cant afford one since my wife and I have a baby on the way. I could swing a Heir, but I can't find a place that has both the stingray and the heir in stock so I can A/B them.
    Do you still play your Heir, or have you moved on to something else, and why?

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I love the Heir. It is a wonderful bass. Without a doubt. I still have it and play it. I have said it before and will continue to say that it is an instrument that will take you as far as you want to go with it! I will say however that my primary instument is an MTD 435 (American Series). - I just have a thing for handmade instruments. Congratulations on the upcoming baby. It is a wonderful thing. Here is a pic from my web site of my 2 year old playing my Heir.

[​IMG]

Mike

3. baobab_40k

baobab_40k

Feb 10, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Hi Mike,

I notice in the picture that your Heir has the Rosewood fingerboard. Do you have a preference for it over the maple, and if so, why?

Thanks

Nelson

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    I'm not a big fan of maple fretboards for a number of reasons.

1. I don't like the feel of a finsihed fretboard. Although the MTD satin finish is among the best, I cannot stand the glossy fretboard finsihes

2. The sound of maple is too bright for my tastes.

3. I hate the expense of refretting a maple fretboard. Not that I refret very often, it just seems like a waste to do it

4. This seems a bit ridiculous, but I also like the look of the darker fretboard wood.

The only mistake I made in getting my MTD American 435 is that I should have gotten an Ebony board.

Mike

5. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    thanks for the reply Mike,
    I played a heir this weekend, and I really liked the way it felt. The B string didn't have a lot of slap bite to it (I descibed it as blurry), but a new set of strings might cure that. It's quite a bass for a great price.
    Here is my one concern about it. I play in an environment where ANY hum coming from the instrument is a terrible thing. That being said, I thought the single coil was way too noisy. In order to bring the hum down to an acceptable level, I had to turn it about 75% off, which made the bridge pickup too bright. The Kingston, with just the bridge pickup, sounded better than the heir with the neck pickup turned off.
    Have you ever heard of anyone replacing the neck pickup with a humbucker? I didn't measure, it, so I don't know if it was standard size for a 5 string J pickup. If so, I think it would suit my needs exactly. I really loved the passive tone, and can't wait for the new color to come out.

thanks for your contribution to this forum

Mark

6. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    here is an update on the pickup situation.

Michael Tobias wrote me tonight in response to my concern that the heir's neck single coil pickup was too noisy. here is what he wrote.

"I have some new neck pickups that just came in to try out....they are supposedly hb's as soon as I get a bass to put them in we can give them a whirl and if they work they will be standard."

Best regards,

Michael Tobias, Luthier

just goes to show you why MTD basses have the best customer service in the entire world. I AM going to buy a heir, and probably a 535 as soon as I can afford it.

Mark

7. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Mark,
    One thing that I have found about Mike Tobias - nothing is ever good enough. He is constantly tweaking and refining ideas. It is an amazing process to watch and, at times, be part of

Mike

8. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Speaking of tweaking, what do you think of this creation of mine?

another TB thread

9. baobab_40k

baobab_40k

Feb 10, 2003
    NYC, NY
    I'm just wondering if you've heard anything from Mr. Tobias concerning the humbucker for the Heir. I just got my Heir this past weekend and love it, but quieting down that bridge p/u would be mega spiffy. BTW, I got the maple fretboard and think it sounds great. Then again, I'm willing to bet that the rosewood sounds great too :D

10. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    he's out of town right now, I got an automated responce from his e-mail address, and he'll be out of town until March 15th

11. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Mike T. left today for the Music Messe in Frankfurt. It is like the NAMM show only 10 times larger. Wish I could have gone

Mike