1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ

For Sale Late 1800s carved bass, Edmund Paulus (German)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by Tampabass, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    Price:
    Strings:
    FullSizeRender (5).jpg FullSizeRender (6).jpg FullSizeRender (7).jpg FullSizeRender (8).jpg FullSizeRender (9).jpg FullSizeRender (10).jpg
    (Reposting) -- Carved bass, made in late 1800s/early 1900s by Edmund Paulus.
    Big, rich sound, great for jazz playing. Fair condition, could use some cosmetic work and reconditioning to rebuild some crumbled edges and address small cracks and potential pre-cracks on front. E-flat neck (I think), scale length 42 inches, 3/4 size or slightly larger. Some scrapes and bruises.
    I don't have papers for the bass, but what looks like the original label/tag is visible. Bass was purchased more than 20 years ago in Tampa from dealer/luthier Buddy Huthmaker, who now operates Huthmaker Violins in Atlanta.

Sound clip from jazz recording session here

Located in Tampa. Feel free to PM me for more info. For serious potential buyers, I'd likely be able to travel a short distance to let you check it out.

More info on Paulus basses: "Handelshaus Edmund Palulus was founded by Edmund Paulus in 1882 and still existed by 1935. The company seems to have started as a pure distributor but may also have done some manufacturing. The company's trade mark showed a violin bridge and two tuning pegs." (from online site)

And from TBer Mikman: "Paulus is a rather common name in this German town and from time to time emerge various instruments of the violin family with a 'Paulus' label. Five years ago, I found a double bass made by Edmund Paulus, a very good instrument, violin corners, size 7/8, with excellent tonewoods and meticulous craftsmanship. It was in the possession of a friend bassist in Italy and it impressed me favourably.
    I own a double bass labeled Albin Lutwig Paulus, Marneukirchen, a 7/8 instrument which is a real "killer". Doing my research, I gathered that they are a family of luthiers for at least three generations and during all these years they were involved in production and commerce of instruments. A fellow from the university years told me that he owns a A.L. Paulus cello, which is an excellent instrument and once he met a old gentleman named Paulus, in Munchen, who was highly respected in his circle as a reputable luthier of cellos and basses.
    So, my general conclusion is that this family constructs decent instruments, some of them real gems, classic samples of the German lutherie."

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021