1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Late 1800s road trunk for Double Bass

Discussion in 'DB Classifieds Archive' started by NOLABASS, Jan 23, 2003.

1. NOLABASS

NOLABASS

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    Hey folks, I have a late 1800s road case for a double bass. Very unique piece that weighs a ton. Its a trunk with cast iron vine design along all the edges. Any interest in this trunk, I'm lookin to get a little money together for an Alembic Fx-1 pre or a 60's P-bass I found. I also have a '65 Suzuki bass that has to have the finger board replaced. I had a luthier in Atlanta put an ebony finger board on it and he hit a knot above the 12th position, I have played it for years like that, but it hurts the resale of it. The trunk would be cost prohibitive to ship I would imagine, but its a really neat piece I have owned for some time, got to let it go.

2. could we see a picture of the trunk?

3. NOLABASS

NOLABASS

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    Yes, sure, was wondering if there would be any interest at all. I have some I'll have to track down, and I've not added any to talkbass, so the learning curve might be a few days. I am gigging all weekend out of town, and will deal with it soon as I can. Tell ya what, if it takes too long, I'll start the thread again.

4. Dont go through too much trouble, Im more interested in what the case looks like, it sounds pretty interesting. But as far as purchasing it, I live in a college dorm, and have no money...

5. NOLABASS

NOLABASS

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    No worries there, I don't go to much trouble in general.:D I had photos somewhere , but alas (dam virus). I have to dig it out of storage, but its worth doing. The case is very cool, looks almost gothic. It was used to travel all around the world. I originally got it from a Luthier I had do some work. His wife was suggesting he maybe should "do something with it." I checked it out, and was thrilled at all the travel stickers on it. The Luthier rented it out to colleges and the like. Being that its bomb proof, it made a swell shipping trunk. He had it refitted with leather straps and it was in usable condition. But when I went to pick it up, to my horror he had "cleaned it up " and stripped must of the stickers off. A lot were just shipping labels, but some were too cool. I believe it still has some on it, a peace symbol to boot if memory serves.