late 1970's Ampeg SVT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Locke, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Locke

Jul 14, 2000
    Hello everybody!
    I just purchased a late 70's AMPEG SVT, but it has a couple of problems. The only tubes it has are the six 6550 power tubes, it's missing the grill cloth cover, and it doesn't have a faceplate. I got the amp at a garage sale for about $100. Can anyone out there help me figure out what tubes it needs, specifically for the preamp section. There are five slots for tubes that need filling, does anyone know the part number for these. Also if you know where to get a hold of any of the other above mentioned parts any information would be greatly appreciated!
  2. Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    Locke, since you were blessed with an SVT for $100; go and spend +/- $100 and get it checked out and serviced. SVT's are not to be "toyed" with since they generate high voltages and need to be properly maintained to work well. You got a heck of a deal, now go and get it in shape; or at least get an estimate. Try and find a good tech who has experience with this model.

3. gmann

Mar 1, 2001

I agree with Tapp. If your interested I can provide you with the name and number of the gentleman that I use for my amp repairs. Not only is his shop an authorized Ampeg repair facility but he worked in at the original Ampeg factory in the 70's. If he can't help you no one can.b
  4. Locke

Jul 14, 2000
    Hey Gmann,
    That would be cool if you could provide with with the name/number of your amp repairman. Much thanks!