1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Late 70's Acoustic Model 220 Distorting

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tjnkoo, Dec 31, 2012.

1. tjnkoo

tjnkoo

Apr 19, 2011
    Metro Atlanta
    I got a late 70's Acoustic Model 220 head at a flea market for $40 yesterday, and it sounded great and everything until today. The longer I had it on and was playing through it the more distorted it started getting. I was using a 77' Fender Jazz during one test, and an 82' Rickenbacker 4003 so none of the hot active basses. I tried it in both the 0 db and -10 db inputs, and it appeared to get worse on the -10 db actually. When I shut it off though it played non distorted for just a second while it was cooling down to power off though, so possibly a heating issue?

Its sort of beat up, but still sounded great at first so I'd love to fix this thing if possible!

If its a major thing what do you think the repair bill would look like? (I'm hardly an amp engineer, as instruments are more my specialty).

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    An amp tech can give you an estimate after putting the amp on the bench.

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

+1 If you don't know precisely what you are doing you could well make matters worse. All of us who have done tech work have had to cope with a unit that the owner "fixed". The repair cost was always much greater on those units.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021