Late 70's BC RICH EAGLE bass rebuild

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by RazlDazl, Jan 3, 2021.

1. This is my first post here folks. I have been reading for a while... lurking, and believe it is time to join.
    Long story short... this BC RICH Eagle Bass was given to me with nothing but the wood. Some of the holes for the electronics have been filled in.
    I hand sanded it and used an ebony finish on it so far and that is it.

This will be my first ever rebuild and I am looking for suggestions on tuners, electronics, pickups, and the bridge to get this thing up and running as soon as I can.
    I have a budget of about 600 USD.
    Anyone up for pointing me in the right direction? bcrich eagle.jpg bcrich eagle2.jpg bcrich eagle.jpg bcrich eagle2.jpg bcrich eagle.jpg bcrich eagle2.jpg

Qlanq likes this.
  2. CricketWand

CricketWand

Feb 5, 2012
    I always watch ebay for auctions, not buy it now listings, for parts. Bridges, tuners, etc. There are even Gotoh Japanese made bridges for $40 or less. You just need to measure everything properly for the right parts. I am restoring a 1980s NJ Eagle over the winter and I am doing the same thing.
    EDIT:
    THAT BEING SAID I'd put double quarter pounders in here or double EMG if you dig active elec. I would put the quarters in there with an Aguilar active pre.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  3. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I would go traditional BC Rich with dual Dimarzio DP122 Model P pickups and a Badass III bridge.

RazlDazl likes this.
  4. What is your opinion on the hipshot knockoff... Kickass i think they are called?

deff likes this.
  5. THis is the hipshot bridge that I was thinking.

Attached Files:

6. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    It’s a quality bridge. Hipshot makes good stuff. I just suggested the Badass III because it was commonly used as the stock bridge on older BC Rich basses.

7. Yes, I have seen that. Beings that the resale value of this thing was completely tanked when I received it I am probably not going to build it out close to stock.

Slater likes this.
  8. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    You can contact Neal Moser about getting the original electronics set for it. That will likely blow some of your budget. IMO it was a mistake to do the ebony. It is likely a 70's or 80's (not an expert on history) USA model. These would almost all have been natural and some were done with bursts. I'd try and put it right. A well restored 70's Eagle would fetch a lot of coin. If you are going to restore it, try and make it as close as you can within your budget to it's original condition. If you are just going to use it as a player and never sell it then let us know what you are looking for in a bass. Every time I see that one of these has been modified I get a little sad, like someone did a bad job of chopping an antique Mopar or something.

9c1ny likes this.
  9. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
  10. I completely agree with you about it being mangled when I got it. I plan on just playing it. I will be doing something custom with it at this point.

11. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    9c1ny likes this.
  12. 9c1ny and deff like this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 25, 2022