Late 70's Fenders

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NeoTrotskyist, Jul 13, 2001.

1. NeoTrotskyist

Apr 2, 2001
    After having played a '77 Jazz Bass and a '79 P-Bass (neither of which, unfortunatly, are mine), I've discovered that i have quite a thing for late 70's Fenders. So my questions are: How hard are they to find, and how much would one go for in decent condition?
  2. usally has some vintage fender in stock at all times so look there.
  3. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I have a '77 Jazz (natural ash w/ maple & pearloid blocks/white binding) in excellent condition that I purchased with OSHC for $300. Not only is it all original, but it is one of the lightest late '70's that my tech has ever seen. having said that, unless you can stumble upon one like I did, a good one will probably cost you somewhere in the neighborhood of $1300 and up. Condition and color will affect this, but most that I've seen listed in Vintage Guitar and in the Chicago area are between $1100-$1500. Considering the fact that they are often prohibitively heavy and are so poorly made, I would advise against buying one, especially considering the fact that late '70's basses are now starting to more into the "vintage" category. This means that the prices asked and paid for these basses is far greater than what their "objective" value should be. If you like the look, you might look at a Fender reissue or a Lull/Lakland/Warmoth type of a deal. Of course, you can always start looking in attics and moldy basements like I did and see what you can find. If you come across a '62 Jazz or a '58 Les Paul, let me know and we can swap!!! :)
  4. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Didn't the rot start to set in for Fender in the late seventies? I've tried a few myself, and although they play well enough and the tone is acceptable, they tend to be far too heavy for my tastes. The few that I have seen have tended to be in a poor state (Because of their poor construction, perhaps?), and as JPJ says (nice nick by the way! :)), do tend to be quite expensive considering what you're getting. Still, if you're a fixer upper sort of person, and you like gigs to double as weight training, that shouldn't be a problem. ;)
  5. lister423

Jul 4, 2001
    Quality and weight were all over the place in the late '70s at Fender. They are not all heavy beasts. My '77 (alder) is moderate, there's a '79 in ash at a local shop that's quite light. But it has a noticeable gap in the neck pocket (quite common back then) while mine has a very tight fit.

Price depends a lot on locality. There have been quite a few on eBay recently which have gone out at under a grand. But I wouldn't buy one sight unseen due to the quality control issues.