Late 70s precision, one end of pickup pressed down

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by twoby15, Sep 25, 2016.

1. twoby15

twoby15

Sep 11, 2016
    I've been playing a different bass lately but the other day I pulled out my late 70s pbass and noticed one end of the pickup sitting lower than the screw. It's beneath the E string. I can pull it back up to the screw but it goes back down pretty easily. I've never taken it apart. What's going on under there, and how would you fix it?

(One pic with it pulled up, one with it pushed down)

Attached Files:

2. The foam underneath the pickup probably deteriorated and if the pickup goes up and down so easily I'd imagine there is no spring on the screw.

JMacBass65 and LoveThatBass like this.
  3. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    CA
    The pick ups are supposed to have some give when pushed down but will return to their set position by foam pad or springs on the pickup screws or rubber hose on the screws.
    Here's a picture of deteriorated foam from a 2003 Squier P-bass
    The foam was stiff and had the consistency of charcoal burnt toast
    I replaced them with rubber hose on the pickup screws, purchased on Amazon

PU before.jpg

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  4. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    You can get new foam strips from Fender. Yours have given out.

5. Mickey Mao

Mickey Mao

Jun 7, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Foam weatherstrip material from the hardware store works well, and is very inexpensive relative to the Fender product.

JMacBass65 likes this.
  6. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Indeed, but don't get the modern type of weather stripping. It tends to compress, and then not bounce back (usually gray). The old style weather stripping is exactly what Leo Fender used. 3M to be exact, but it's black and when compressed, goes back to its original shape when uncompressed.

9mmMike likes this.
  7. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

It looks similar but do not use the Frost King or equivalent. As @Lownote38 says, it compresses but does not "bounce back". It is cheap for sure but who needs 12 feet of the stuff for a few inches of bass pickup? The old-style more rubber-like stuff works great.

Lownote38 likes this.
  8. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Or. go to www.guitarpartsresource.com, and buy the same stuff that Fender uses (and cut to fit) for $5.99. I bought some foam pads from Fender a couple of years ago for a Warmoth Mini P-Bass build; but their website has changed too much - can't find the stuff now... anyhow, those people have all kinds of nifty Fender stuff...:thumbsup:

Lownote38 likes this.
  9. Yeah, what they all said. My 78 P had that issue when I bought it. I used something I had lying around the house.

SilGarzaJr likes this.
  10. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    It's actually even sold on Amazon (official Fender product).