1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LATE 80's/Early 90's IBANEZ "REGULATED LOW-Z" ELECTRONICS

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lowphatbass, May 12, 2011.

1. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    ...Anybody own a bass with these or have picture of the control cavity? I'm trying to resurrect one for a friend's son. The cavity is a mess, missing the battery and battery plug, there's loose wires and likely some non-factory soldering. I'm also considering some inexpensive passive replacements as this a "karma project" and probably coming out of my own pocket, I'm going to do some measuring and see if these P/J pick-ups are a common standard sized or not.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, here's a pic as well:
    img1603qd.

Thanks,

LPB

2. m0ntels

m0ntels

Jan 20, 2011
    Quakertown, PA
    Does that one have the stacked knobs or just the boost/cut? If it's just the plain treble and bass boost/cut, then I can take some pics for you this weekend.

IIRC the pickups are passive, the battery is for the EQ if it's easier to just go passive on it.

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I have an '87 SR-885LE that came with with the Regulated Low-Z electronics. The pickups are active. The Jazz pickup should have a dummy coil under it. A cable runs out of the pickup, to the dummy coil and back in again to the pickup's internal preamp. The red wire from the pickups is for power.

Do you still have the preamp with the tone controls? That sounded pretty good, but was a little hissy. The pickups sound nice but the Jazz pickups were still noisy.

I have since gutted mine and replaced the pickups with passive pickups and will soon be adding a new preamp.

I can take a photo of the old Ibanez preamp if you need, but it's no longer wired in the bass.

4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Awesome! Thanks for the info and head start. It doesn't look like anything is missing from the control cavity other than a battery connector and the cover, what worries me is the deep layer of fuzzy dirt and grime over the electronics and the appearance of some of the solder joints. I'll pull the bridge pup and see if there's a dummy coil.