1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Late 90's MIM P-bass special deluxe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by impactwrench, Apr 10, 2009.

1. impactwrench

impactwrench

Feb 22, 2009
    Anyone got the specs on this Fender bass? Im looking at picking one up (MN8.... serial) because I loves me some P/J action. However Im not sold on the jazz neck. Does it have a jazz neck like the newer ones? What type of pickups are in it?

2. impactwrench

impactwrench

Feb 22, 2009
    anyone? Ive got a line on one locally...pretty good deal but Id like to know more about it first.

3. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Yes, it has the smaller Jazz bass neck. If you love it otherwise, you could always put a P neck on it, or a Warmoth. It's a MIM so you wouldn't be ruining the collector value...besides, you could keep the original neck and switch it back if you ever decided to sell it.

4. rowyco

rowyco

Sep 24, 2004
    Traverse City, MI
    Here you go, hope this helps... http://www.talkbass.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=233

I have one of these and really enjoy playing it. It use to be my number one bass (even over my MIA Fender Precision) but it has lost top billing to my MIA Fender Hot Rod Precision. If you can find one of those used, I would highly suggest getting that instead. It has a nice, thick precision neck with that great P/J tone. Just thought I'd throw in my two cents.

5. impactwrench

impactwrench

Feb 22, 2009
    Actually I have a HRPB but its oly white and I always wanted a sunburst. Ive had 2 active basses now and dont really care for that either, nor the jazz neck. Swapping the neck is not a big deal, but it would end up being pups and electronics too I know.

is that worth it if I want to change the neck at a minimum? I could be waiting years for another HRPB.

6. impactwrench

impactwrench

Feb 22, 2009
    anyone else love theirs? what type of pups are these? alnico or ceramic? where does the battery go?

7. htharp

htharp

Feb 4, 2007
    Dallas, Tx
    If it's really a late 90's the battery doesn't go anywhere. These were passive back then. I've owned 3 of them at different times, but never really liked the J neck. They played fine, the build quality was very good as is typical of the Deluxe MIM's, and I used them for several months each time I had one. Found a 1st year US Hot Rod P bass with P/J pickups and it took their place.