1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Late 90s mim vs Squier VM jazz necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sigmafloyd, Jul 20, 2012.

1. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

May 1, 2011
    I have these 2 jazz basses and the necks feel quite a bit different. The 98 mim jazz feels a bit thicker and beefier. Does anyone have any specs on the neck shape of either? I'm curious which is more typical. Thx

2. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    The Squier VM Jazz neck, is in essence a continuation of the neck profile used on the Squier Standard Series, which in a lot of ways evolved into the VM line ... this is probably my favorite neck profile of ANY bass ... with that said, when you say MIM Jazz, I am assuming that you mean the MIM Standard Jazz? ... I have had a few, and I certainly wouldn't call those necks 'beefy' at all ... I always thought they felt like a rather slim profile ...

.. its hard to call any neck profile 'typical', but more realistic to say that you now have a referrence point to compare to when inquiring about other neck profiles ... the American Series/Standards/Hwy ONES have a much more 'substantial' neck from those that I have had, and the MIM Classic Series 60's Jazz has what I would call a 'beefier' Jazz neck ... you almost need to compare for yourself to get a good take on the variety .. JMHO