Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Late Bass Player Mag subscriptions

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by PhatBasstard, Aug 3, 2003.

1. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    It's now Aug.3 and my Aug. issue (Tim Commerford cover?) is still not here.

Is anybody else still waiting on theirs???

It usually shows up a few days following the 15th (previous month), but the few times it's been late (but never this late) it looks a little "used". Like someone at my local USPS office is reading it and only then sends it on. I'm in Nevada, they ship from California, and some of you guys on the East Coast started threads about it two weeks ago.:mad:

I am not pleased!:spit:

2. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I guess I'm the only one.:( :meh: :meh:

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    that used to happen to me from time to time. call them up and tell them. they've extended subscription one issue in the past for the hassle.

just realized something - i've subscribed to a bunch of different magazines in my life. bass magazines are the ONLY one that I know exactly when they're supposed to be there, and when they're even a day late :) . can't tell you how many issues of men's health or playboy I probably missed....

ps. playboy is the worst magazine in the world for looking at women. all they ever have is paintings of them in there. my mother could pose for playboy, and she's 72. i was kinda tricked into a subscription - only reason i ever subscribed.

4. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    They've done that to me too. The other good one was when they sent me another one, that actually arrived before the regular one, so I end up with 2 of the same issue. Or I buy it on the newsstand, they extend me an issue, and it shows up anyway, so again, I have 2 of the same issue.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

This is the first time I've been told (by the operator at Bass Player) that I'd have to wait till the 15th to do something about it though. Hell, that's when the Sept. issue is supposed to ship.:mad:

5. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    My magazine is always late (not as late as yours though). It is a bit annoying when a lot of the content has been discussed here before I even have read it myself. Guess they send it by the slowest form of snail mail to Sweden. It comes un-read and wrapped in plastic, so it has not been delayed as reading material in a mail handlers rest room at least. :)

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    When I first had probs with getting issues late and whatnot I called the customer service for the publishing company and really talked it up. I wasn't mean but I was very firm and they sent a message from me to some kind of higher-up (I'm sure it wasn't the big boss or anything but probably just the next level up in the chain) and I saw some REAL action real fast. When you call them though I think it would help to know what kind of action you want. In my case I hadn't received two months worth of issues and I said I want the two issues in my hand by the end of the following week. I had them by then. Someone put the two issues in a brown envelope and sent them straight to me. Ever since then I've received my issues at warp speed. Got the last one on the 12th of July I think. Then again if the problem lies with the USPS then you are probably screwed.

brad cook

7. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Aug.4
    Still not here.:meh:

8. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Are you sure your subscription didn't expire?

:bag:

9. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Well, lets see......I resubscribed for 3 years...
    that was about 6 months ago......probably not.

10. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    First, I think they are sent out from Colorado. I live in CA and am the last to receive mine by judging when the threads start up here, usually 2 weeks earlier. :mad: I've received some issues that were obviouly thumbed through before they got to me. When issues have not showed up at all customer service has sent another copy. I recently resubscribed through one of the eBay offerings (around july 1). $9.00 a year! After winning the auction I inquired when the new subscription would start. I was told they buy the subscriptions in blocks and when they sell out that block it will start. Could be up to 90 days! So, if you bid on one at eBay be aware, they neglected to mention that in their auction. August was my last issue so it will be interesting to see how many issues I'll miss before the next subscription starts.

11. This is why I let my last subscription expire, and didn't renew it. I also subscribe to Jazz Times mag; got 3 issues, then nothing for two months. Now, I just got the August issue. I'm not even going to call them, when it expires, I'll just buy it at the bookstore. Sometimes the savings aren't worth the aggravation.

Mike ;)

12. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Aug.5
    Still not here.:meh:

What's really sad is, I also subscribe to Bass Guitar Magazine (the good one from England, not the one Guitar World stupidly named the same thing :rolleyes: ).
    Now this one comes all the way from Europe, is never late, and is in it's own plastic wrap so it shows up in pristine condition.

So you say Bass Player is only coming from a couple states over (Colorado eh!) from me? Pathetic!:meh:

13. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Aug.6
    Still not here.:meh: :meh:

14. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York

15. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    i wonder if putting out a bass magazine is the equivalent of brain surgery, rockey science, etc. i would think the companies take in more than enough money to adequately compensate the people who work there, and yet it seems really hard for them to get their crap together. bass frontiers folded completely because (IMO)the guy in charge didn't know if he wanted to run a magazine or play with a bunch of bands touring. i NEVER knew when tose magazines were coming. i had to call just about every single month. bass player magazine is filled mostly with ads, their articles aren't very in depth, and they seem to repeat the same kind of stuff month after month. after a while there's nothing interesting in there anymore. ever compare BP to some guitar magazines? there's more info and stuff to read on one page of some guitar mags then in 6 pages of BP. i'd seriously like to know what goes into publishing a magazine.

16. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Aug.7
    Still not here.:mad:

SEPTEMBER!?!?!
    Now I am p*ssed!

Calling Bass Player immediatly.

EDIT/FOLLOW UP: The automoton at the Bass Player 800# tells me I have to wait (more) until the 15th of the cover month (Aug.15) before it was considered late. I informed her that some of you are already receiving Sept. She said there was nothing she could do (then what is she there for???).:rolleyes: :mad: :spit:

17. i signed up for a subscription.. and got a bill before the first issue.......

18. Bill Leigh

Bill Leigh Editor In Chief, Bass Player Magazine

Apr 8, 2003
    Hi everyone,

I've read all your comments with interest (I'm a long-time lurker) and I'm sorry that some of you have had spotty experiences with our subscription service. This is, of course, very frustrating to me; we editors work very hard to put together a damn good magazine for you each month, so we like it to get to you in a timely manner and in decent shape. We have a new circulation manager who's working on some of the problems. I've forwarded this thread to her, and is definitely going to look into some of the customer service issues.

Meanwhile, PB, please send me an e-mail with your address and I'll personally mail you a copy of the August issue from our editorial office (which, by the way is in California, while customer service is in Colorado, and the magazines ship from the printer in Pennsylvania). If any of you miss an issue in your sub or get one that's mangled, contact us and we'll fix it.

Thanks for your continued support--and thanks for reading Bass Player.

All the best,

Bill Leigh
    Editor in Chief
    bleigh@musicplayer.com

19. wow..... get got the head hauncho on board! cool!
    Welcome bill!

20. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Thanks Bill,
    A fellow TBer has put Greg Olwell in touch with me and I believe he has already taken care of it.

I do have another question for you: As you may have read earlier in this thread, I have a suspicion that someone at the USPS office is reading it before it comes to me since it's always a little "used" looking on the occasions that it has shown up later than normal.

Many of my other subscriptions come in a plastic sealed sheath. I feel that this would prevent the "pilfering" of one's mag if it arrived packaged as such. I know this would add to your publishing costs, but do you have any idea what it might add to the average 1 year subscription cost? I would gladly pay an extra few $ a year for this upgrade, and I have a feeling many others would too.

Thanks again, Rick