Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Late breaking news: Gut rules all others

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by toman, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Just thought I'd throw that out there... Just got a D and G pair of Eudoxas on my bass, and while I'd played them on other people instruments and been impressed, they blew me away on my own bass. By far the best string I've had on it; the bass just seemed to come to life! It seems like it has about ten times more resonance and warmth, and the whole instrument just rings and breaths with a mind of it's own...

2. Exactly the reaction I had when I changed from steels to Velvet Garbos. More volume, more warmth, and they bring the bass to life.

3. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    So you get MORE volume with gut strings? I've only played 4 or 5 basses in my whole life, but all of the ones I've tried sounded terrible with guts on them. I would try some on my bass, but I don't want to modify my nut to accomodate an experiment. Is the sound that much better? I'm using Obligatos (Dominant E) right now.

Jason

4. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    It all depends on what you want. I've tried gut (Eudoxa E/A, Oliv D/G) for about 9 month and found their sound to be very good, interesting, etc. but it changes with the weather condition... You need also a significantly higher action, and you have to retune very often. I've found their life to be even shorter than that of Obligato's.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's exactly what Arnie Somogyi said - and why he switched to Innovations.

6. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I tried Innovations, Obligatos, Spirocores, Flexocors, Animas but none measured up to the Olivs (on G and D) and the Eudoxas (on A and E). For me, there is nothing like the sound of gut especially for pizz. It has a truly unique sound and feel that has not yet been emulated in my experience. Yes they are a pain with tuning but it's worth it.

Adrian

7. My Velvet Garbos are synthetic gut, so dont have the same tuning problems as pure gut, but they definitely have that Paul Chambers bouncy sound! Now if only I could play like him.....

8. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I'm not very knowlegeable about these matters but if you like the gut strings so much why would you only do the D and G strings?

(Pedro curious)

9. Well in my case I just happened to aquire a D and G, but I think in any case the A and E would be just to big and cumbersome, at least for the kind of playing I do. For jazz they might be allright...

10. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Thanks for the info. How do the gut feel when you play arco?

11. they feel pretty cool; I think they take a bit more pressure to get moving, and there's just a lot more movement all the way around. I think they're a bit harder to bow than regular steel strings, at least at first, but I've gotten pretty used to them over the last week or so and it's not a big deal. I'd say getting used to them is more of a deal with the left hand then the bow.