1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LATE GIG EARLY WAKE

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by DERECOLA, Nov 1, 2010.

1. DERECOLA

DERECOLA

Aug 21, 2006
    PA
    Do any of you guys play Friday night and have to be up early Saturday to go to work??

2. amroach

amroach

Feb 11, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Yes. many times i've got back from out of town gigs at 3am-4am and been in work at 5am.

3. britainblues

britainblues

Jun 18, 2010
    Boston, MA
    Happens to me every weekend what hurts more is a Friday night gig, Sat morning work, then Sat night gig. on Sunday I feel like an abused puppy.

4. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    yeah i've done a lot of saturday night play till 2am's and get home at 330-430 and get up at 530 work all day then play again friday night till 2am. YET I LOVE IT!!!!

5. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Used to. Before I moved to Winnipeg, I used to live 1.5 hours outside of the city, would play a bar gig till 1-2 am, then have to pack up, drive back home, and then be up at at work for 6am. We only did that a few times, but it was brutal.

Now I live in Winnipeg, and work Mon-Fri 8-4, so it's much more managable.

6. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I get collared sometimes to fill-in with our church's worship team. So, a late gig on Saturday night, followed by a 7:30am report time at the church (I get up @ 6:15). Good thing I'm reading charts in the morning!

Some weekends are REALLY rough. Friday, Saturday night gigs, Sunday morning, and then a dinner/dance gig Sunday evening. I'm pretty well done for by Monday morning.

7. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Back when I was a high school teacher, I was also gigging quite often including weeknights. I'd get home around 2-3 AM and get up at 4-5 AM to get my lessons ready for my first class at 7:45. I never drank so much coffee in my life, and I was a grumpy teacher.

8. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I played last Thursday, got home at 1:30, up at 6:30 on Friday, worked all day, then went to the bar and played until 2:00..... Last Friday was sucktacular.

I have a gig this Thursday as well........:meh:

9. Art Araya

Art Araya

May 29, 2006
    Palm Coast, FL
    Happens in the church world quite a bit with some of the musicians playing a Saturday night gig and then having to get up early for the church service.

It's very rough. Sunday afternoon naps are required on those weekends!

10. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I don't work weekends, but my band has played a few out of town gigs on Thursdays where we don't come back home til around 3:00am or so (milwaukee to chicago, unload gear, then all the way back up to my apartment. get up at 7:30, get into work at 9am).

The worst part about it is, for instance, out of town shows when nobody shows up because its your first time gigging out there, etc. Get no cash out of the deal, and it feels like its just not worth it IMO

11. pull an all nighter! sleep at work :bag:

12. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

Its a bitch, but it's part of the game.
    Love of music, baby.
    It's fun gigging, Thur., Fri., Sat.
    Your a Zombie by Sunday.

13. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    When I have a gig on Saturday nights till 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning and then have to wake up at around 6:00 to get ready for church, it can be pretty hard. That being said, I've never been sorry I got up to play. It fuels me, no doubt.

14. I do it almost every weekend. Play till 2am, pack up and home by 3-3:30am, up and in work by 9am.

It sucks but we are all gigging musicians at my store so we know to cut each other some slack durring the early shifts.

15. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    Roscoe Basses, 64 Audio IEM, GHS Strings
    I typically get in from my Saturday gig between 2-6 in the morning depending on if it's local or if I'm on the road and I'm never in bed before 5am. I then have to be out of the house at 8am to do a church gig that's an hour and 10 minute drive from my house.

16. cloclo

cloclo

Dec 13, 2009
    Antwerp, Belgium
    oh yes

17. I don't have to suffer it as much as most posters here, but recently we did a Friday one hour's drive to the east, got home at 4 am and had to be back on the road by 7:30 the next morning for a 5-hour drive to a festival west of where we lived. We played at 2 pm and again at 9:30 at this festival- of course by 9:30 they were an hour and a half behind, so we played at 11 at night! Thank goodness we stayed the night instead of trying to drive home 5 hours after that gig.

18. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

I play Saturday nights and have to be at a church gig in the morning for 745am rehearsals. Sucks but Im used to it. Been doing it for 3.5 years. Sometimes Ill simple pull an all nighter. Like my Dad once said, "you can sleep when your dead"

Rob

19. duff beer

duff beer

Dec 2, 2007
    Winnipeg
    Naps are your friend...

20. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

I commonly will have students all Friday.... play friday night (and bring the PA).... home at 2:30... church practice at 9:00 (1/2 hour away).. Lessons all Saturday.. Play Saturday night.. honme at 2:30 (still lugging the PA).. sunday morning sound check at 9:30... lessons on the afternoon.. then a bride who wants family time.

Isn't this what you signed up for?