Late Model Ampeg Heads - wattage ratings and volume question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman08, Nov 8, 2005.

1. bassman08

Jan 26, 2005
    Just wondering if anyone out there has A/B'd late model Ampeg heads vs. other brands such as Hartke, Eden, Genz Benz, Mesa, Fender in similar "classes"/power rating/type of amp in the same speaker loads and what everyone's thoughts were on how loud each of these manufacturers amps seemed in relationship to the Ampegs.

Just curious on what everyone's thoughts and personal experiences are.

Thanks a lot.
  2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I've noticed the Ampeg B-series heads, as well as the SVT-3Pro, were very quiet for their wattage rating. Not only that, but much more expensive than comparable heads from other brands which were louder. So IMHO, they aren't a great deal.
  3. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    I cannot imagine anyone needing more stage volume than my SVT4PRO puts out. I've gone back to using my 1001RB because the SVT is too loud. I like the tube preamp though and am thinking about something smaller, maybe an Eden. I have heard others say that the lower power Eden amps are plenty loud.
  4. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    mobax, are you and older/mature player? one who isn't volume competetive? if so eden is a great route to check out, especially the tube-hybrid amps in my opinion. I don't know exactly how to describe my experience with the WT300 (300 into 4ohm) it seems quite adequite for personal stage volumes between 105 dBc and 110. that is with two 112's. I practically sit on my stack!

some people say the 550 is incredibly loud, but great sounding. I wish I had the money, but the wt300 is $400 used and 13.5 Lbs. I don't think I'll ever put it in a rack, just a eden bag.

I tried some of the eden SS stuff like the wt330, but preferred the 300's sound better, smoother overall.
  5. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    I like a warm, punchy sound that will not wash the stage with low end. I set up on the drummer's left and generally play at a volume where he can hear me without being blown off the stage. I also like to listen to the rest of the band; not just the bass. My biggest complaint with live bands is that the bass guitar and bass drum overpower the rest of the band. I consider myself to be a very mature player. I really like the SVT sound. I just don't need the volume or the lbs. Whatever I decide on, it must be capable of driving 2 EPI 210
    cabinets or a 210-112 combination. I think an Eden 400 or 550 should be quite enough.