1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Late NBD! HJC custom super short scale bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Hello all! I haven't had a chance to post this yet, but recently my bass came in!

I've always had a dream of owning the ashbory bass-I really dug the idea of an upright sound, but in a more portable size. The one thing I couldn't stand about the ashbory was it's look...yes I am shallow and need to have a good looking bass lol
    So anyways, as time went on, I got to thinking, why not take the guts of an ashbory and fix them to a decent body and use that? I had no woodworking skills, nor did I know anyone either, so nothing got done-it stayed a dream. In the meantime, kala came out with the uke bass, and that was a step in the right direction, but still not it.

I started a thread a while back asking to see if there was a way to get a builder to build my design, and I met musiclogic here on talkbass who was crazy enough to take on the project, and a few months later, boom. The bass is ready!

It's super cool! It is an hjc custom single cut design, with a rosewood body with an ebony neck. While my original idea was to use ashbory parts, Musiclogic ended up not using them, and acquiring better parts, like the active eq and the bridge/pickup. Very cool! It plays like butter and sounds just like a mic'd upright bass-very tight and has that low end boominess that is found in an upright, and it's only 20" scale! I absolutely love it, and plan on him making me my next custom bass too.

Thanks a lot musiclogic for making such a cool bass!

Attached Files:

2. WOW!

3. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    What he said.

4. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    What he said he said

5. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

I've been looking at the progress pics on Facebook. Looks nice, but I think smaller knobs would make it perfect.

6. The reviews of the knobs Stewmac sells describe them as "wee" and "elfin." Maybe just right for this bass

7. I was considering smaller knobs, but i really like these ones too

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

All the best with it Charlie! :cool:

9. I absolutely love it-musiclogic made it better than I even imagined. It really feels like a solid bass-better Than my fender jaguar by a long shot!