Late Night Super GAS For Something Big.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by freeslicefattyj, May 4, 2005.

1. I think I'm going to purchase a couple of Avatar speakers. Most likely a B212 and one of the 410s. I need something that will be able to really bump these cabs. Right now I'm using an Ampeg SVT 3. I'm going to want something bigger than the 450(4ohms)/275(8ohms) that my Ampeg can give me. This is a list of the amps that I'm thinking about. I'd prefer not to have an all tubed amp due to retubing costs, but this is what I'm thinking of. I play pop rock with ska, jazz, and punk influences. It's a light sound but with one guitar I like to have real full lows while still cutting through well if I happen to do any higher stuff. Which amp should I go with to power a 212 and a 410:

Mesa 400+
    Eden WT800
    Mesa SM900
    SVT CL
    Laney B1
    Ampeg SVT 4
    GK 2001RB
    Orange AD200
    Any other sort of Amp/Pre-Amp combo, i know nothing about them

Eventually I'd like to upgrade the cabs, but I want the head to last for awhile. Any other suggestions appreciated.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ

Here's what you do. Get the 410 and the 212...but if you can wait a month for the 212, Avatar will have a NEO version sometime in late June. Imagine, around 55 lbs for a 212!!! Anyway, get both of those cabs in 4 ohm config, 'cause you should give a listen to......

The Kustom Groove Bass 1200

This sucker has all the Mesa, warm, tubey tone and look @ a fraction of the price (about $500) and carries 1200 watts @ 2 ohms! Pumping that much power into your 2 Avatars cold peel paint if you wanted to.

I currently have a GB 1200 powering a 410 NEO and it sounds great, but I'm sending it back to get the extra rumble of the 212 NEO when it comes out...a 210 NEO will sit on top to round things out. Lots of us here have a similar GrooveBass rigs (210 on top of 112, 210 on 115, etc) and love the sound of this amp.

Check 'em out @
  3. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    Will the neo 12s have as much of a midrange bump like the neo 10s?

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    There's gonna be an overlap. The bright high's won't be there, but there's more midrange thunder than midrange punch...and, of course, the bottom is going to be Phat w/ the 12's
  5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Do yourself a favor - preamp & power amp route. If you like the Ampeg sound, they have several to choose from and show up used a lot. If not, there are several others that show up as the usual suspects. If you're gigging a lot, then a nice rackable bullet proof rig is maybe a safer bet.
  6. I've thought about the pre/power amp route before. I really know nothing about it, but it seems to be an alright option. If I were looking to get a decent set-up, does anyone know about how much that might run. 1000 watts or so at 4 ohms and a solid preamp.
  7. Just to point out the Mesa 400+ isnt over 450 watts, still its helluva loud :)
  8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    This one represents about around $1100 about $1.00/watt bridged into 4 ohms. The power amp, which I realy like a lot came from the TB GFS at about $250.

A decent pre will run you between $125 and $500. The low end would be an older used SS pre Yamaha PB1, Digitech Legend, BBE 383, etc The higher end would be a used and pristine Alembic, Demeter, etc. My Demeter was about $400 when all was said and done and it is worth every dime.

The black unit is an ART Tube Channel. I'm running it in the effects loop of the Demeter. I gives me an additional 4 bands of eq and an optical compressor. Oddly enough, this was my full time pre before I got the Demeter and it represents a real value in the Bass Pre market. $150 to $225 used and a real bargain if you can find one. They aren't real fussy about tubes. I'm running the stock Electro Harmonix in mine. I've tried a number of different ones and the EH tubes work as well as any in that circuit. I run more exotic stuff in the Demeter where it seems to count more.

So - the ART or another pre, a decent used power amp and a sturdy rack can be done for 500 to 600 pretty easily.

9. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Hey mal I recognize that preamp! :D So you decided to keep the new one over the old?

I second the pre/power amp advice. You can easily get the same features/power capability and sometimes even more then you would have with most self contained heads. I would look for a used QSC PLX and preamp of your choice. The preamp would depend on what type of tone you are looking for.

10. I played through one once, and though the wattage isn't the highest, it's an all tubed head, and in my eyes anything over 300 tubed would pretty much take my head off if it wanted to :hyper:

Thanks for the advice with the amps and such, I'm not sure how I'm going to produce funds for such a set-up, hopefully early summer, but whenever that happens I'll definitely take that into consideration.
  11. I know the feeling just got an SVT-II on saturday :D

Just incase you were being "mis-lead" by mesa saying its a 500 watt amp (i think, when its more like a 300 as you said)
  12. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    you wanna loosen some teeth? get a pre of your choice and one of these:

20Hz-20kHz, THD+N=1% 4 Ohms Stereo: 950W + 950W
    1kHz, 20mS nonclip 4 Ohms Bridge: 3200W

Yamaha build quality is always great, its got adjustable HPF's for each channel so you can get rid of all that sub 30Hz speaker blowing, headroom sapping freqs..

13. yeah i know the mesa is 500, but like I said I group everything at 3 or above ( SVT II, Fender and Sunn 300t, SVT Classic, Mesa 400 ) in the same "rattle your ribs category". What do you think of your II. I've been reading up and those look really cool.
  14. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Mesa's would be the go....Whether it be 400+ m-pulse 600 or big block 750.