Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Latecomer to FX needs advice

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassyBill, Sep 29, 2005.

1. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Sorry for the long post, but I just needed to get this off my chest! Any advice/comments very welcome.

I’m more or less an effects noob. I bought a Zoom 607 a while back (to take it off a mate’s hands who needed the cash) and have hardly used it. I also have a V-Amp Pro in a rack with my amp. I really like the amp modelling on this and use this a lot, but haven’t really used the effects much, except for a touch of the “ambience” effect when playing fretless. Then I got a Sansamp Programmable BDDI. The decision to buy this was based on the need to have a way of foot switching in a boosted signal for one or two solo bass passages in our set. I should say at this point I didn’t want to get the foot controller for the V-Amp, as it seemed a bit “over the top”. Anyway, I really like the way the Sansamp beefs up my sound when used in a fairly subtle way (blended with the dry signal) and now use it nearly all the time.

Then our guitarist bought in a new chart. The key chosen to suit the singer meant the bass line was a bit high, so I tried using the octaver in the V-Amp. This suited the number really well, but I wanted something that would track a little better and be stompable, so I’ve just ordered a Digitech BSW as I know the octave effect on those is very good. At the same time I’ve ordered a Boss CEB-3 as I occasionally want to use some light chorus (especially on fretless) and I prefer the analog sound to the chorus in the V-Amp. No surprises there then!

The long and short of this is that I’ve realised that I do want to use effects, perhaps not all the time and not in an outrageous way, but here and there when it suits what we’re doing. So now I’m thinking, how do I get the best out of this lot? Maybe put the Digitech, Sansamp and Boss chorus on a pedalboard? I may just program the Zoom to mimic this lot (in a cheap and nasty way) and use it at rehearsals for speed and portability reasons – does this sound plausible? I’m not planning on adding any more effects at present, and I can’t see me using the effects in the V-Amp that much except for the ambience as described, which is on pretty much all the time when I play fretless.

So… any advice from you experienced effects guys about choice of board, power supplies, keeping it all quiet noise-wise, signal chain order and so on would be much appreciated. Thanks for reading this far!

2. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    UPDATE Well, the Digitech BSW and the Boss chorus arrived today at 2PM and I only ordered them yesterday morning (online, from Andertons - UK TBers take note). The BSW works just great as an octaver, tracks considerably better than the V-Amp version. I may use it as an envelope filter occasionally but I can't see me having too much use out of the wilder synth sounds. Worth the money just for the octaver effect though, I reckon. The Boss CEB-3 does exactly what you'd expect, fairly bog standard chorus, seems good for the price. Both pedals have some hiss/noise, but not excessive (on battery power at the moment). I don't think I'd even notice it on stage, but maybe it would show up when recording.

I followed the Tech21 recomendations for signal chain so at the moment I'm going Bass >> BSW >> Sansamp >> Chorus >> Amp (the V-Amp is in the S/R loop of my head).

Overall I'm pretty pleased with this early foray into the weird and wacky world of bass effects. Must admit, I'm quite keen to get a really funky envelope filter though, neither the BSW or the V-Amp versions are quite what I'm after in this respect. Based on online sound samples the MXR Bass Auto Q sounds like it may well do the job. Might wait a while though, to see if the GAS is acute or chronic...

3. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    The MXR Bass Auto Q is great. It's got the same circuit as the Dunlop 105Q, so you can get authentic manual wah sounds but automatically. It's great, and loses no bass at all.

I also have the DOD FX25 which is cool and very unique sounding, but has a volume spike and loses alot of bass :p

The Q-Tron is pretty decent too, some nice little envelope tones, and No bass loss, as it has the LowPass setting, and also a Mix setting which combines the band pass effected signal in with your clean signal. Overall, a decent pedal.

My favourite would have to be the MXR, though I have heard that the EBS BassIQ is meant to be excellent.

4. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Yes, I'm definitely going to go with the MXR I think. I had a listen to the samples on the website and it sounds great. I also listened to the BassIQ on the EBS site - definitely prefer the MXR. Tried to find one in Birmingham today, no luck. May have to be a "blind" online order :( Oh well, sometimes you just have to be brave :D

EDIT Just ordered one from Stagebeat - looking forward to trying this one out!

2nd EDIT Got it! Oh yes...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?goto=lastpost&t=101716

5. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Glad to see you're happy Bill. Told ya you would be ;)

6. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Cheers, Higgie! Yes, the MXR is working well - so, cured my effects GAS for a while at least. I now have...

Bass>>>Digitech BSW>>>MXR Auto Q>>>Sansamp>>>Boss Chorus>>>Amp...

...plus the option of using the effects in the V-Amp (some of these are okay - reverb and delay for example - I guess digital tech suits some effects better than others, right?). I'll get round to setting up some patches on the Zoom, just to use at rehearsals (I like to take as little gear as possible to the rehearsal room).

I've just ordered a Boss BCB-60 board for the 4 pedals. If there's any space left I might try and think of something to fill it up!

;) Bill

7. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    You should swap the chorus and the sansamp so that you DI all of your effects when needed

8. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Thanks, TaySte - I thought about that, but the Sansamp manual says chorus after, for some reason. When I DI live, I actually take it from the head anyway, so that's post-pedals, V-Amp, head EQ ,the lot!

What do you think of the Boss pedalboard, by the way? Ever got your hands on one of these?

Bill

9. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Not very impressed because it's that ABS plastic, I'd look at the old pedaltrain 1 and some of the warwick rockcase thing. Aluminium is your friend ;)

10. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Yeah, I went for the plastic 'cos of the light weight, I'm getting a bit old for humping so much stuff around. I don't tend to bash stuff too hard anyway, so I'm hoping it'll stand up to the sort of use it will get okay.