Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lateralus!!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by A Rock, Aug 25, 2001.

1. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    hey ima big tool fan...it seems like there arent any threads about there new album so....here is one.

what do u think of Tools new album...Lateralus?

i love it!!!

its a perfect album!

2. There were quite a few threads when it first came out, but anyways...

I thought it was very good, not nearly as good as Ænima, but good nonetheless.

3. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    I think it's their best album, even better then Ænima. You can listen to the whole cd straight through without any crap inbetween and all of the songs are great, as opposed to Ænima where only about 1/2 of the tracks were good.

4. i bought lateralus a week ago and i cant seem to get into it, i think reflection,parabol, and the grudge are really good but i jus dont think its as good as aenema and undertow but still its alot better than alot of the other albums that are floating around right now.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Aenima (how do I get the hybrid A/E symbol?) is I think their best work. Hooker With A Penis and Aenima are some of their best work, IMHO. Though, I dig The Grudge and Ticks and Leeches like nothing else. Now if only I could see them live...

6. Hold down ALT and then hit 1, 4, and 6.

7. i think it's a really good cd, it's kinda long so i can't get thought it all all the time but still a really good cd

8. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I think it's Tool's worst cd. Their old stuff sounds so much better.

9. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    It was OK. I wouldn't have said it's a "perfect" album by any means. IMO they went a little over-the-top with the whole "futuristic" spiel. And I didn't especially like the little "fillers" like tracks 2 and 4.

Aside from that it wasn't too shabby at all.

10. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Yeah I think its pretty good except the little filler things, I think all of those are on the even number tracks. So I just skip all those.

11. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I am listening to it right now. I have never listened to any of their other stuff, but this is pretty cool.... I really like everything on this album, but from the sounds of things I am going to have to go back an listen to some older stuff...

P@

12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Lateralus? Eh, I think it was my least favorite Tool CD.

I wish Chancellor could've also taken D'Amour's tone along with his job.

13. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    The drumming on Lateralus is absolutely insane...

IMHO, it's an excellent album... the "filler" tracks really serve to connect one song to the next, when you listen to the album all the way through. I think it's meant to be taken as a whole...

14. I just love everything from tool, i think Lateralus is their best album so far, That "fillers" you´ve mention are just the link between the musics... Justin has some great basslines and a very personal tone... their musicianship is remarkable too...

TOOL ;)

15. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    dont ever use the word worst and tool at the same time:mad:

16. catwig1

catwig1

Mar 4, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    I think it is their best album so far. Production-wise it's almost perfect, song-wise it's amazing and personal and the general musicianship is stunning. I have been listening to TOOL since 94-95 (not as long as JT :) )and they just keep getting better, but I sometimes skip some tracks on all the other albums but not Lateralus :) (maybe Ticks, maybe) Btw anyone else notice the typo on the back of the case (Lateralus/Lateralis) they have corrected it on the later versions.

Matt

17. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I've never listened to TOOL's other works (except Sober) so Lateralus is my first TOOL album (horay for newbies :) ). I think Lateralus is a great album and the "filler" is a great way to link the songs together.

By the way. Are Parabol and Parabola supposed to be on "mega-song" split in two or something?

18. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    It´s great! But unfortunately I can´t listen to it unless I use my roommate´s Playstation..