1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Latest BP mag - STOMP BOX HEAVEN!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by teedub, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Hey all,
    The latest BP (North America) reviews 39 pedals (OD, octave, and filters), and they'll be posting sound samples of all the pedals on bassplayer.com in the coming days!:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

2. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yeah, I saw that, I wasn't too impressed with the reviews. They were all very short, missing some critical things, and they didn't have much bad to say about very many of the pedals.

Just simply not very informative, I was dissapointed. I didn't know they were posting soundclips of everything online though, I'll have to check those out.

-Dash

3. Agreed on the reviews, it seemed like more of a "buyer's guide" than an honest set of reviews. It's the soundclips that interest me the most, but the site's not updated with the latest issue as of yet.

4. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Yeah, there is nothing worse than critics who refuse to be critical. I assume there is too much money to be lost in advertising dollars if they should offend someone.

5. +1

i wish they would have done one type of pedal and listed ALL the different pedals. It seemed like they missed some of the cheaper pedals (MXR) that are still good.

I do wanna check out the sound clips when they come up.

6. the glowing reviews are one of the primary reasons i let my subscription expire.

7. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    The reviews are crap, but at least there are a lot of pedals, including the Hematoma. :)

I'm about ready to let my subscription lapse as well, I've gone back and forth with Bass Player at least 5 times over the years.

8. They basically have the entire mag available on their site, plus extra video and audio goodies. I don't think I'll be renewing, either.

9. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    As unhelpful as BP's reviews are most of the time, the 39 pedal extravaganza actually said that it was more of a buyers guide than a set of reviews.

That said, I'm disappointed that they stuck with the basic three effects... I'm not a guitar player, but I think guitar world or guitar one recently did the history of effects mainly posting the original tremolo pedal, the Ampeg bass blender (octave/distortion), some ring mods, etc. It's sad that I have to go to a guitar mag to read up on effects.

10. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    I thought it was a pretty weak thing all-round, myself. The 'stompbox secrets' thing they were touting on the cover, mentioning Bootsy and JMJ, turne dout to be really skimpy.

11. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    The best (and most up-to-date) bass pedal reviews are still here on TB - every single day, not just when BP puts out a pimp-our-advertisers issue.

12. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
  13. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
  14. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    I hate magazine review articles. Golf tips for example has a yearly gear review issue with "top choices for 200x" or "best gear for 200x". All that happens there is clipped explanations of the gear directly copied from the manufacturer website/marketing material.

Magazine "review" articles end up being nothing more than advertorials more often than not.

15. Mabis2012

Mabis2012

Mar 25, 2006
    can someone scan the article for me please?

16. Are the reviews actually on that link all i can find is an intro, how the pedals work, pictures annd why some artists use them.

17. Yeah same, if anyone can scan it please pm it to me. It seems the reviews arn't on the site just how the pedals work, the history and what bass players think of effects.

18. the sound samples are not on the site..........:spit:

19. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    And I'm not surprised with that, I subscribed for BP mag on Aug 7, still haven't seen any of them. Something is not ok with BP.

20. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    When I started (my wife got it for me as a gift), it took about 4 months before I actually started receiving issues.